Do I have to go to Cub Scouts too?

My son will be 9 next month and behaves pretty well. He is in Cub Scouts and the room is very small. I think that most of the parents do stay in and talk. I am taking a class and need/want to study. I thought about sitting in the van (AWESOME weather!) and studying while he is inside. I even thought about running to the store sometime.... What do you think??

jalex

Asked by jalex at 5:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a girl scout leader and teh moms dont stay. i think you should ask the leader cause in boy scouts when they are younger i know some groups require u to stay. If each parent isnt helping thir child with a specific project I see no reason y you would have to be there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When I was a den leader the parents could stay if they wished, but nobody wanted to. And when my boys were in cubs, I didn't stay, nor did the other parents. I would think it would be best that unless a helper is needed, that the parents should let the children be on their own with the leader.

Answer by Bmat at 5:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yep BOTH my girls are in girlscouts...ones 6 and the other is 11...i only stay for thier first meeting of the year to get paperwork done and make sure they are settled...the only time i stayed after that was for any field trips or stuff like that...otherwise i was in the way...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My dd has been in girl scouts now 5 years (nearly) and i stay at the meetings not cause i have to but to save the gas, but i do on ocassion have an errand to run or need to take care of something that i will leave my daughter but its not required that i stay!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was also a den leader. Most times there were very few parents who stayed. The boys seem to pay attention better when there aren't "helicopter" parents. BUT, that being said, parents do NEED to talk to the den leader so there is clear communication about what is going on. You can't expect boys that age to remember the "parent message" stuff. It sounds like you are involved enough to be good about that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I've never stayed for anything like that because my kids never pay attention when I'm there..SOOOOOIf you can afford the gas to go back and forth or whatever then do what you can do especially if you can get studying done while he's in cubs. I would do that same thing. Also try to see if there is another cub in the area and see if you can carpool with them..
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 6:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• and I have no idea where I was going with the carpool thing..lol
    fireangel0310

• With scouts the only group that requires it is Tigers. As long as you are able to be contacted if something happens and are there to pick him up on time it would be fine, since at 9yr old he is either Bear or Weeblos 1 right?
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 6:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Ask the leader if he/she wants you to stay or not. Most will say that you can if you want, but it's not required.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009