Is it normal for a otherwise healthy child to go potty 7-8 times in about a 6 hr time span???

I was told by my youngest sons teacher today that he has been going to the potty quite frequently and I'm not sure what to do because I dont have any bedwetting accidents from him or ne thing and he goes to bed at 9 nightly and doesnt get up til 8 the next morning and he doesnt get up at all at night to go to the bathroom.If u can give me any advice or help please respond...

flaminhot

Asked by flaminhot at 5:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well when he goes to the bathrom during school is he actually using the bathroom or is he just using it as an excuse to get out of class and go play in the bathroom? If he's actually going pee that much though you might want to ask his doctor about it because it could be something like an over active bladder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My nephew did this when he was 6. He just used the bathroom as a way to escape. Even when we were having fun he would go to the bahroom over and over. He liked to go in and play with the sink.
    It could just be a phase, but it wouldn't hurt looking into it a little more and ruling out a physical problem.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It could be that he is just drinking a lot more water at school and having to GO more. They do let the kids stop at the fountains quite a bit to get drinks, especially when its hot, so they stay properly hydrated. And the kids just love to stop at the fountains for a drink every time they get a chance too. It could also be that it is a novelty of him being allowed to use a pass to go to the bathroom by himself. (do they allow them that this year and is this the first year for him to be allowed to do so?) This sounds so much like my son last year and it was a combo of the two things I mentioned above for him.
    What we did is told him to not go until it was absolutely necessary... emergency. They have group times when the teachers will let them all go between lunch, recess, whatever, so we told him use those times. If things don't get better talk to his doc, but if he's ok at home, he's probably fine.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Find out if he is actually going to the bathroom to pee or to play. If he is actually peeing, that is not normal. He could have an infection, his bladder could be small or overactive. You could call the doctors office and talk to the nurse and see what they think. My son does that once in a while and he is 13, there is nothing wrong with him, he just goes through spurts where he pees a lot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009