Strange cure to infant gas. Anyone heard of this?

I was just reading a blog that was talking about gas bubble cures for infants. My 3 week old gulps a lot of air when he's nursing, and ends up shrieking in that high pitched painful cry a lot because of bubbles in his belly, so i am willing to try about anything to help him. But this seems kinda strange...

The advice was that newborns anuses are really tight when they are infants. Breastfed babies also have very liquid poop. That makes it hard for them to have enough "pressure" to poop enough. The mom suggesting this said her baby's belly seemed a little distended, and i was thinking that just last night about my own baby.

Anyhow, the "cure" was to take a q-tip with Vaseline or KY gel on it and put it in their bums and massage it a little. She said it loosens that muscle and lets the baby's poop. She said be sure to have a changing pad under them because a LOT will come out the first time.

Anyone heard of this?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 5:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should never do this. Inserting anything up their rectums can be dangerous, even possibly rupturing their bowels.

You are supposed to lay them on their backs and move their legs like they are riding a bicycle to help them push the gas out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have never heard of this...but pediatricians take temps rectally so to say its going to rupture anythung is untrue. you just need to be careful and do it properly.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• All I have heard was taking the temp recatally can sometimes help with BM
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• do the bicycle move with the legs, and then push one knee to the opposite side then the other. it gets things moving.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i do not think i have ever seen anything any more asinine than this.

not having enough pressure built up because BF babies have liquid poop? OMG. seriously? BF babies poop like nature intended- we aren't supposed to have solid BM's. That is from eating poorly, and not getting enough roughage. FF babies have more solid poop because they are exposed to things that their systems were not naturally intended to ingest (not bashing FF moms).

Try feeding him more frequently. a BF baby that is well fed, and on demand (not waiting until they cry to feed them, but watching for other cues, like sucking fingers, or rooting) will not ingest as much air. I had the same problem with DS #1, it was miserable. make sure you burp him. lay him face down across your lap an massage his lower back until the bubble work their way out, BEFORE they can travel to the bowel and make him miserable.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have heard of doing this for babys who are constipated, but never for babys who are gassy. I was just told it relieves the pressure when they are constipated. I have also been told my the Ped that taking a rectal temp when constipated can help too, which is approx the same thing.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OMG! How STUPID!!! All that is going to do is make the baby poop, it's not going to get gas out of the stomach and it is also going to weaken the rectal muscle so it won't even work properly so he can poop on his own!!!

That is absolutely one of the stupidest things I've heard of. It's done in extreme cases with constipation, I've had to do it with my son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Using a thermometer or anything up the rectum does pose the possibility that you could rupture the rectum. Anyone that hasn't heard of this isn't very well informed. I never let anyone take my children's temp in the rectum for this reason. It is a small chance but it does carry a high mortality (death) rate. Underarm temps are just fine.

You can take a gloved finger and gently massage the outside. It can help with gas. If that grosses you out you could use a cotton ball, only on the outside. It can cause just enough of a funny feeling that the baby relaxes and lets out the gas.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Peds recommend this when the baby is constipated or just hasn't gone in a few days. It makes sense.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 8:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Rectal stimulation is more commonly recommended for "constipation", or sometimes, what a mom thinks is constipation. I can see that gas would come out along with the poop, it does kind of make sense.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009