Is there any other group, similar to the Boy Scouts, that my son can join?

I do not agree with the views of the boy scouts, but I find that they can also teach responsibility and all that, just without the Christian beliefs?

Kaelansmom

Asked by Kaelansmom at 5:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You might consider 4H...Both of my kids are in it. Different clubs offer different programs, such a livestock, shooting sports, photography, health and nutrition, etc. You can find out more about 4H in your area by contacting your local extension office (in the phone book) or by googling your state name and 4H. Hope this helps! :)
    RanchWifeandMom

Answer by RanchWifeandMom at 5:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Camp Fire is for girls and boys.

Not all Boy Scout troops are based on christian beliefs. My son was part of a troop that was near a major university and was multicultural. One of his friends was hindu and my son is agnostic. Both became Eagle Scouts.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Camp Fire is the same organization as Boy Scouts. Their first rule is to pledge to God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Spiritual Scouts are Great! Look them up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not all Camp Fire groups or scouts force kids to pledge to God.

It may not seem right to send your kids if you don't believe in God. My kids would just be quiet during that part of ceremonies.

I don't believe in pledging to a flag. I stand to show respect for others but I don't say the pledge.

I was a Camp Fire leader, Cubmaster and a Boy Scout leader and it didn't matter that I was agnostic or that I didn't say the pledge.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My brother is Pagen as well and he is a Scout Master.... it doesn't seem to bother him
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You might check to see if your YMCA runs a group called Adventure Guides. It used to be called Indian Guides and Princesses. It's for fathers and sons/daughters.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I understand that one, and I'm a Christian. My husband was active in Boy Scouts as a child and he is very upset that they have basically excluded atheists in their declaration of religious principles (even more so since he is now an atheist).
    Anonymous

• Anon from :58 again - And don't even get me started on the whole gay thing... going to the meetings makes me feel like I am in enemy territory.
    Anonymous