Waking baby to feed?

Do I need to wake my baby up every 2-3 hours to eat if he is asleep?

Or should I wait until he wakes up crying/cooing?

If I do wait how long should I wait to wake him up?

Should I feed him more than the 2-3 oz he gets before bed so that he will wont strave (spell?) ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your baby will wake when they are hungry, that's what I was always told - my son never slept more than 20 minute cat naps for 2 months and then his colic was also so bad I never had to worry about that but I am told they will wake when hungry..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, unless you have a very passive, sleepy baby they will wake up when they are hungry. All three of my boys slept 4 - 5 hours at night right from the start. I wouldn't go longer than 5 hours if baby is a newborn. You could offer more at night, but babies stop eating when they are full, so you can try but baby may not take more. Or of course if your baby is not gaining well or having enough wet/poopy diapers, you may need to wake them then, but most babies will wake when they are hungry.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We let our son eat when he wanted and as much as he wanted when he was a baby. I never tried to force feed him any, and if he was asleep, we never woke him (usually at least one of us was asleep too because we were on opposite schedules.) Your child will eat when he is hungry and unless he is loosing weight and the doctor is concerned, i would not worry about it. Be thankful he is sleeping so long and get yourself some sleep too.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Feed and sleep on demand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Bottle fed babies can't regulate how much they eat. They have a strong suckling need that isn't being met at the breast. Even if their stomach is smaller than a golf ball and they only need 2 ounces they might suck down 6-8 ounces from a bottle. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.

The baby's doctor should explain everything about feeding to you including how much a feeding and how much every 24 hours. If the doctor didn't you can find charts with ounces by age and weight by searching google.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I woke my first baby up every 3 hrs. to feed. But with my other 2 i knew better. I let them feed on demand. I did wake them up after 4hrs. when they were newborns though.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009