Bloody Show??

I am 39 weeks pregnant and was in the OB's office yesterday for my last check up. I am 3 cm and 50 % effaced as of yesterday. She said that she was stripping my membranes to "get things going" because I had false labor on Sunday night and they kept me over night at the hospital until the morning. I am now since yesterday losing a lot of mucus with blood in it. Does this mean that I am progressing more and is this bloody show? Or is it just from the exam and doesn't mean anything?

KTsMommy2008

Asked by KTsMommy2008 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It could be either. When did it start? If it started soon after the exam it could just be related to that. If it started later, like today, it could be bloody show. Or it could have started from the exam and continued on as bloody show. Though I never had bloody show until I was in labour with contractions.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• that means ur dialating whenever theres bloody show it usually means ur dialating
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

Not always true. I had bleeding after some of my exams or membrane stripping that had nothing to do with dilating. How do I know - because I wasn't dilated at all. And some women are dilated with no bleeding. Hopefully it is true for the op because it will mean her baby's on the way!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I just had my membranes stripped and my Midwife said that if I were to see any blood, that would be why.  Hopefully you are getting ready to go into labor!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  Good luck!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not always true. I had bleeding after some of my exams or membrane stripping that had nothing to do with dilating. How do I know - because I wasn't dilated at all. And some women are dilated with no bleeding. Hopefully it is true for the op because it will mean her baby's on the way!

Thats bullshit. They dont strip membranes unless you are at least dialated to 1.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thats bullshit. They dont strip membranes unless you are at least dialated to 1.

So I guess my Drs lied to me. I was a fingertip dilated when she did it, and a fingertip a week later when I had my next appt. It hurt like crazy when she did it, maybe because she was forcing my cervix open to get in there to strip my membranes. But then again I guess all Drs are exactly the same and all have the same guidelines they use, and every pregnancy is the same too. Maybe your Dr don't do it unless you are at least 1cm, but I went into labour each time with little (like a fingertip - which is less than 1 cm) to no dilation. And I'd had my membranes stripped with two of my babies.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• So I guess my Drs lied to me. I was a fingertip dilated when she did it, and a fingertip a week later when I had my next appt. It hurt like crazy when she did it, maybe because she was forcing my cervix open to get in there to strip my membranes. But then again I guess all Drs are exactly the same and all have the same guidelines they use, and every pregnancy is the same too. Maybe your Dr don't do it unless you are at least 1cm, but I went into labour each time with little (like a fingertip - which is less than 1 cm) to no dilation. And I'd had my membranes stripped with two of my babies.

So, how long did it take after she stripped your membranes for you to go into labor? I am still losing a lot of mucus plug (big chunks) and still has some blood in it. I am having more painful contractions but not regular ones.
    KTsMommy2008

Answer by KTsMommy2008 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2009