Do you supplement with formula when you're sick? Why or why not?

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 5:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never did. The only reason I could see doing that is if you needed to be on meds that wouldn't be good for baby. If it's something minor it's actually good to nurse because then baby will get the antibodies you are producing to help them fight off whatever you've got. As long as you are staying hydrated your supply should stay up, and by not nursing and supplementing you will have your supply go down. Though I will say that if it's a stomach flu thing I can see not wanting to have a nursing baby on you, but still it would be good for baby to get the antibodies so they don't get sick too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No you don't need to supplement when you are sick. The best thing for the baby is to get your antibodies. It is healthy for them. That way they can't start building an immunity to what you have so that when they do get it they don't get it as bad. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No. There are only a couple of meds that are contraindicated for breastfeeding. You can still take meds and breastfeed. I was on as many as 15 meds at one time while breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Why bother? When you're sick is the BEST time to nurse because baby gets your antibodies. Also, illnes can impact supply so continuing to nurse mitigates that.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Why would you?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree that its best to give your baby your antibodies. But you need to consult a dr about that meds your taking. There are more than just a few that shouldn't be taken by BFing mothers
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, I don't need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I never did when I was sick. I had a full blown case of the flu and still breastfed. Nothing worse than having the flu and then having engorged boobs at the same time. It was no fun, but neither was trying to breastfeed my daughter with a gaping reopened c-section wound.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's better to breastfeed or if you are feeling rotten at least pump and give the milk becasue it has those antibodies in it and hopefully you will pass those on so that your baby doesn't get the same illness
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No no no. Don't supplement when sick!
    a)You milk when you are sick is packed with the antibodies to what ever it is that you haev so baby is less likely to catch it to.
    b)If you have a fever and get dehydrated that alone is going to mess with your supply supplementing will make the loss worse.
    c)a sudden drop in feedings is going to cause you to get engorged which is painful and can lead to even more painful and serious mastitis.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009