Should I worry? please read!

DD started saying mama at 8 months old and was saying it constantly especially when she was upset and crying, and then just all of the sudden she stopped saying it, shes 9 1/2 months old and im really worried! they said if they even stop saying one of their words that they may have autism and im really worried, it was her first and only word, she still does her baby babble like crazy, especially when shes excited and has been saying a word that kinda sounds like dada, she goes "da da da da" and she still acts like her normal self playing and doing all the same stuff shes been doing, shes great with feeding herself and all that, the only thing that has changed is the not saying mama anymore

Italiancouture7

Asked by Italiancouture7 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't be worried, my son would pick and choose when and what he would say; he would go months w/o saying something he had been saying. He's 3 now and I can't get him to be quiet! lol
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• you're autistic nervous, right? 15-18 mos is when things like that go from quirks to problems. she's mainly babbling.... you're blessed she has ever said anything at all! she's early, bright cookie! she is still getting used to the novelty of sounds.... she'll come around. relax and enjoy the quiet time. this time next year she'll be telling you off. ;)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yeah right now shes in her high chair drinking her juice yelling "a da da" and "a de de"
    Italiancouture7

Answer by Italiancouture7 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son's first word was mama and he said it a lot at first and then stopped saying it for a while. He says daddy and all sorts of things now, and only says mama if he's really really upset. I wouldn't worry about it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Don't worry about it. Babies will pick up words then after awhile quit saying them. My 14 month old has done that with a bunch of words. She will say them over and over for weeks, then quit.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My older son said no when he was really young (I think around 8 months), then stopped talking until he was about 2 years old. He is 3 and 1/2 now. Still has speech problems, but just a typical boy... He doesn't have any "defects". I wouldn't be worried at this point. If she starts showing other signs down the road, you may want to talk to her doctor, but if your families don't have any problems, I would back off and enjoy her youth.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yeah could be autism. ask the dr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• At this age, *I* wouldn't be concerned. Some moms would be though. If you're concerned, just discuss it casually with your doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009