Student punished for spaghetti beliefs?

Student punished for spaghetti beliefs

A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy - because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.

The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

Were his rights violated?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LMAO! I think he was obviously being a smartass, but it raises and interesting question about where we draw the line when it comes to what is a religion and what is not. Who is to decide what religion is legit? Obviously Pastafarianism began as a satirical point on including religion in public schools (you can read that in the initial FSM letter posted on venganza.org) but how can one prove that belief in FSM is any less or any different than belief in Christianity or Islam or Buddhism or any other more 'legit' religion?
    Anyways, RAmen to the kid... global warming sucks, we clearly need more pirates!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Is this a joke? I'm not trying to be rude but I've never heard of this religion.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i think he was being a smart ass but also trying to prove a point. i know Pastafarianism is a big satire on organized religion, i think he has a valid argument though
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Umm...is this "religion" even real or is it one of those things that people do making fun of religion in general. If it was the first, then as silly as it may be, yes his rights were violated the same as students who get in trouble for carrying Bibles to school. If its the latter, than no, his rights weren't violated, he was just being an idiot.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ROFLMAO!!!!! Oh my sweet baby Jesus, this has me rolling on the floor. This kid is my hero. My absolute hero. I agree with pooki, he was being a smartass and he was proving a point.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is a joke and if this was actually real yea his rights were violated
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Cait said what I was going to.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh yes, Pastafarianism is absolutely real. We believe that we have all been touched by His Noodly Appendage. We grow closer to his warm, squishy folds when we eat pasta, especially spaghetti.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Of course his rights were not violated. Arrgghhh matey!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's a REAL religion and here is the website:

http://www.venganza.org/

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009