If you take toys away for misbehavoir how long do you keep them up for?

My almost 3 year old girl is out of control. I tell her several times throughout the day to pick up her toys, stop playing in the water from the bathroom sink, and so on. She will not listen. I am trying to deal with her more calmly but I'm pulling my hair out. So the last time I told her if she didnt pick up her toys that I was going to put 2 in the garage but when do I bring them back out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I take something away from my DD who is 21 mo I tell her she can it back after lunch/nap/dinner/bedtime b/c she dosnet understand the concept of time just yet. One of my friends told me that she puts her kids toys up but in their sight so they remember that they did something bad & cant have it right now otherwise if its out of sight they completely forget & dont care. I'm not exactly sure these are just some thoughts.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• She does not obey. To listen means to hear with your ear.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• we tried that for awhile but it had ZERO effect on our kids. we usually put the toys within site.... up very high somewhere. they could care less, so we stopped. but we took them for anywhere from overnight to 3 or 4 days
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We only let our son play with 1 thing at a time. If he wants something else, he puts the previous toy away first. This not only teaches him to follow rules, but keeps messes away. If he refuses, we take the toy for 2 days.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would let her play through the day and tell her that whatever is left on the floor when you go to bed, will be taken away. This could mean 5 toys at first (or more) to very little... Clean the house before you go to bed and put the toys in a closet until she starts picking up the toys. If she doesn't have any toys left keep them for at least a few days letting her color or read books, then start bringing a couple out.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my 1st three girls I told them if they didn't pick up their toys and take care of them I would throw them away. I did it just one time and they got the idea.

Now that I have started over and have a 4 yr old son, My 16 yr old told me that she turns everything off to get her brother to clean up and nothing comes back on until the toys are picked up. She is right, it works! she works in a preschool after school and knows all the tricks and she is also the best babysitter I could ask for.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It sounds like you have my 3 year old daughter ... lol She gets things taken away for the day if she is not listening...
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 9:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I've always told my kids, if i have to pick up the toys, their mine. And they stay mine for at least a week. Otherwise, the kids figure, oh well, i'll just get my toys back tommorrow. The key here is to make an impact on the situation. Oh, and they just don't get the toys back, they have to earn them back. I rarely pick up toys, and now my oldest is 8, all i have to do is say once to pick up toys. They feel good after having done it, and having a clean room too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2009