need some suggestions on teachign reading?

My five and a half year old has been working on reading for years. He seems to have trouble keeping letters in order. I can't tell if he is just not interested or if he is really having a problem. He knows all the letters and their sounds, but when you give him a word he will make a sounds for i and add letters that arent' written in the word. When i ask him to take another look he says it fine. or if we ask him to take it to the other room until he is ready to sound it out with us he goes and reads the sentence perfectly to himself. I am frustrated, but i don't want to turn him off reading. I don't know what else to do. We have how to teach your child to read in 100 lessons we are on 20 and he is doing fine but seeming not to pay attention or trying to go too fast. My three year old can do them all perfectly I am just confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Back off and see if he will figure out reading on his own. Most children do. Stop reading to him so he is motivated to learn. There is no scientific evidence that learning to read at an earlier age is better in the long run or that reading to kids is of lasting benefit.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• is this a troll/prank/joke? teachign reading? He cannot keep letters in order?

Am I being Punk'd? Cuz I LOVE YOU ASHTON .......
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Many childrens brains are not ready to read till they are around 8. Its a problem the public school systems are unwilling to accept even though there have been numerous studys on it. I would continue to work with him on it, but don't push him so hard he is frustrated by it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• YOU are teaching some one ELSE to READ?! Thats a shocker. This is why children turn into stupid adults. Correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling are not your fine points, obviously. Maybe hiring a tutor would be more appropriate since you are obviously an idiot yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh come on they were obvious typos. You're the troll anon. You give us other anons a bad name!

Anyway make it fun. Get the Leap Frog videos from Target my son loves them and has started thinking its more fun to try to read since hes watched them. The Leap Frog Word Whammer is also good. Its nice because he can put words together without you hovering over him making him nervous. Also flash cards are good. Have one flash card a day with a new word on it. Have him practice it all day and make it fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Pick up the BOB books. My daughter had a set and was reading fluently at 4

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Have his eyes tested to make sure he can see properly. If he is seeing letters that aren't in the words, it could be his eyes. Otherwise, sit down and read with him for atleast 20 minutes a night. Point to the words as you are reading. Point out written words in the stores, street signs, etc. Don't push him because that will make it worse. Talk to the teacher about what else you can do. If the teacher isn't concerned, I wouldn't really worry. My son had trouble reading until the middle of first grade and then he all of a sudden "got it". Some kids just take longer to learn how to read. When you read with him, have him read a page, paragraph or sentence and then you do the same. Have him use the picture on the page to help figure out the words on the page. Ask the teacher for a copy of the Kindergarten sight words or google that and print it out. Concentrate on the sight words, those are about 40 words that he should know

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• cont. in Kindergarten, well by the time he gets out of Kindergarten. Have him match pictures with words, colors with words, numbers and shapes with words. You can even label objects in your house so he can see the written word and the object. Make it fun. Don't get frustrated (or show him your frustration). Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• He may just be lazy. Our 6yo can read quite well (he's actually reading The Boxcar Children right now) but if he's reading aloud he will guess words because he ASSUME it says something rather than just reading what it says, or he'll not finish longer words because he's too lazy to sound it out.

Maybe teach him word groups. BL, PH, ST, TH, ING, etc and see if he can build off of those.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• He doesn't sound too far behind to me. It could be just that he has problems reading out loud, if he is doing fine on his own. How is his writing? You should make a list of letters he sounds out wrong and see if they are consistent. My son for instance always mixes up N&M b&d n&h but, he also has issues with those letters in writing as well. Once you see where his problems are you can ask his teacher or your district for an evaluation for dyslexia. Also don't compare him to your other child. Children learn at their own pace plus your younger child has the advantage of watching your older child do it first, so his development may be accelerated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009