Stripping membranes and castor oil

Today at my 39 wk app my dr stipped my membranes and suggested taking castor oil on friday since she was on call at the hospital that day, so I have talked to a dr about it and she recommended taking 4 oz of it and putting it in a milkshake, and she has had a high sucess rate with that, but i have not seen a dosage that much yet in my research. i know it causes diarea and that it could be bad i'm just looking for people that it has worked for, esp in combination of having their membranes stipped.

smltwnmom

Asked by smltwnmom at 7:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never tried the castor oil, but I did have my membranes stripped on my 40wk and 1 day over due appt. (my first time with the procedure). I took a nap later that day and when I woke up I decided to run some errands....that's when I started contracting. Your doctor was just trying to have the oil stimulate your bowels more so that it may help trigger your contractions. =) I thought I would never pop b/c my son was getting so huge, but every pregnancy is different so hang in there! =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 7:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I never had my membranes stripped, but the castor oil was literally worse than labor. It was deathly awful. ((sorry.)) But you know what projectile vomiting is like, right? ...out your bum. :-(
    It truly was the worst thing ever.
    And postpartum complications were not so lovely, either.

And now, having been around birth, working with pregnant women, reading about birth everyday, etc., I have come to really really get something: Baby needs to be born when baby decides. Baby is still inside for an important reason. We moms/doctors/midwives should really respect that.

There are risks that accompany castor oil, but they might not be massive.

After that first birth experience I definitely did NOT try it with the next baby.
    She came SO much more easily, gently, calmly. It makes an enormous difference to allow baby & body to do their thing, I promise!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i did 2 tbsp of castor oil i went into labor 6 hours later i was 40 weeks
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• CASTOR OIL IS BAD!! as for the membrane stripped i got mine stripped at 38 wks and i had her teh next day
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No I didn't do the castor oil, didn't really wanna blow mud throughout labor. I had my membranes striped with my first child, I was a week away from my due date, and I had him the next day. I was striped again with my second child and schedualed for induction the next day.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would talk to your doc about scheduling an induction rather than taking Castor Oil, but I drank the whole bottle of Castor Oil and it still didn't do anything for me (rare exception I've heard). The higher the dose, the better chance you have. A BIG warning: It tastes like you are eating plastic! I really didn't have a big problem with "blowing chunks", but I have problems in that area anyway...TMI! Basically all she's trying to do is save your insurance money by having you spend a couple bucks to push you into labor. Also try going on walks, up and down stairs. I have to disagree with baby coming when he's ready for a reason because my sister was a week over due and her doc said that he would come when ready...she went to another doc and they said that she needed to be induced because they were going to have problems if she didn't have baby within a couple days.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I can't be induced b/c i have had a previous c-section so they won't induce me which is fine by me. and with my first pregnancy everything was fine till the day before my due date he flipped, which resulted in my c-section, and the dr said today the sooner the baby comes the baby chance of having a vbac b/c of the baby getting too big and pushing on my scar.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 9:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009