How do I put a picture of a pumpkin on a shirt? So that my family has matching shirts.

I have this idea. I want my boyfriend, son, and I to wear white shirts with the same picture of a pumpkin. Then I want to take a picture. Instead of trying to find us all matching shirts I want to make them. My question is can I go to a craft store find a picture that I can put on a shirt? I am assuming I would iron the picture on a shirt. Has anyone done this before? Do I need a special kit of some kind? Does the picture still stay on when you wash the shirt? Any help would be great. Thank you!

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• What you have to do is get the white shirts and iron transfer paper. Then you can find a pic of a pumpkin and scan it in or download it if you find it on line. Then print, iron, and wash. I wish you luck and it sounds like fun. It might also help if you pick up some t-shirt paint to highlight some areas
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You can find an image of a pumpkin anywhere on the internet. You can "Google" for the image or take a picture of one that you like and upload the image to your computer. You can find iron-on transfer paper for your printer at Walmart or craft and/or fabric store (like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin Craft Store, JoAnn Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics, etc.). Its real simple. Just print the image on the tranfer paper like you would on regular paper...follow the instructions to iron on the image to your shirts. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thanks girls for the help. I wasn't sure how to go about this project.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Actually you can paint on fabric with regular acrylic hobby paints and it lasts through many washings.
    novemberborn

Answer by novemberborn at 10:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You can go for the reverse-- Choose a 100% cotton shirt in any color-- Orange would be perfect-- Using a Gel Bleach pen you buy in laundry section, draw the same design on each shirt . This will bleach out your design, leaving white lines on your shirt. You can use any pumpkin design of your own or go to different websites with specialty designs that have amazing freebies you can chose from. ( pumpkinlady.com, Stoneykins.com, Zombiepumpkins.com, ) Make sure you have cardboard in between front and back of shirt and work on flat surface with ventilation. Leave gel on shirt undisturbed till you can see the color is bleeding away. (10 to 20 min average) Once you have the design clearly showing, rinse shirts thoroughly and dry normally. A very neat technique .
    873hodges

Answer by 873hodges at 10:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I will mention that the printable transfer papers do not last very long, but when you do wash them try washing them inside out to make them last longer. You could also go to any craft store like AC Moore, Jo Anns or Michaels and buy pumpkin transfers (they even have glitter or rhinestone ones right now)! You could use the fabric paints like mentioned also, they would last much better.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2009