how long can a pumpkin be carved and sit outside til it starts to rot?

i honestly have no idea as this will be my first year ever carving pumpkins! so say if my daughter and i carve one this weekend will it still be ok on halloween?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, how long it lasts really depends on the weather.. the warmer it is, the faster it rots! I live in California and I can not carve it until a few days before Halloween if I want it to last! I love carving pumpkins and can't believe it is your first time! You know, there are alot of other things you could do to it to decorate it (paint it, glue stuff on to make a face etc) that you could do now and have it last. Or you could go ahead and carve it and then just carve another one closer to time. That's what I usually do because I usually can't wait. Did I mention I love carving them? Oh Yah! Well have fun and Happy Halloween to you and your daughter. It's a great tradition to do together!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think a couple weeks???? I think we'll probably just draw on it first until it gets closer to holloween....or tape different face pieces to it so it can change all the time if my kids want....
    Reshel

Answer by Reshel at 7:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yes weathers a big factor. we are going to carve our pumkins on the 15th.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would suggest painting the face on them now, and carving them closer to halloween...better safe than sorry.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• In my area, overnight. It's too hot down here.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 8:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Mine didn't start rotting until November.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You should wait a bit if it is warm where you are. I was told that coating the inside with vaseline would extend the pumpkin, but I would Google it. It could be a fire hazard if you put a lit candle in it. Is vaseline flammable?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I read somewhere that choosing a pumpkin with a longer stem extends its life as well.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009