What do you get

From reading the bible? I see people all the time say they read the bible and that they feel it means one thing, however since their pastor/preacher says it means something else, what their pastor says must be true. If that is so, why read it yourself?

Personally I feel like I get a better understanding of things when I read them for myself and read the context behind the scriptures. There is so much left to interpretation and not one person is going to interpret things the same. Why can't my interpretation be just as right as the pastors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It can be. Thats why I love the people I do bible study with. They encourage me to read and draw my own conclusions. If I read things one way and them another, we discuss it, but if in the end I still dont agree, they don't get upset about it, we agree to disagree and move on.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I hate to say this, but the bible can be interpreted so many different ways and has conflicting ideas. Why not put your faith in God rather than put your faith in something that one man wrote and another man interpreted? You can believe in Jesus without following every word of the bible. It just seems ridiculous to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Anonymous
    I hate to say this, but the bible can be interpreted so many different ways and has conflicting ideas. Why not put your faith in God rather than put your faith in something that one man wrote and another man interpreted? You can believe in Jesus without following every word of the bible. It just seems ridiculous to me.

What you say sounds ridiculous. You wouldn't even know for sure what to believe about Jesus if we didn't have the Holy Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Everyone interprets it differently. I think that's what makes it so nice? I have never read the bible all the way through and it's nice to do research on a subject. I do agree with auroura about bible study. Though you may read it differently, doesn't mean that you are wrong...it's just how God wanted to teach you that day. Read it again and you may see it a different way again?
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My pastor tells us not to take his word for it, that we should study things ourselves, because after all he is human and can miss things. And even asks to confront him, if we think he is wrong. I don't trust any pastor who says that we should take his word for it and to trust him and only him.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's wisdom to check things for yourself. Make like a Borean (Acts 17:11,12), and check whatever you're told is backed up by scripture. Jesus warned there would be false leaders and false teachers that 'would mislead many' (Matthew chapter 23). Only the Bible can 'set things straight' (2 Timothy 3:16 & Romans 15:4). It's fab you read the Bible!
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 7:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• the bible has many lessons on cleanliness, direction in marriage, how to handle children.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• One of the problems with interpreting the Bible is that people over interpret what it says. If God says it's a sin its a sin, don't try to over think it or look for loop holes. Also there are "guidelines" for interpreting, such as you have to look at Scripture as a whole, not just pick out verses as you would like. Where there is disagreement I tend to defer to my pastor as he is more educated than I am. But pastors are human and make mistakes, some are even guilty of trying to manipulate scripture to fit their own meaning.

Also the pastor was never intended to be your only source of understanding.  A good pastor will encourage and help their congregation to study scripture on their own. 

But all of this must be done with prayer, God gives the true understanding, after all it's His word.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2009