what led you to the path you are on?

I am sure this has been done before but I haven't seen any in a while. What led you to the religious (or lack of religion) beliefs that you have now? Have you changed from the beliefs you were brought up to have or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i changed from the religion i was brought up in about 3 years ago. God led me to it. I took to asking God to guide me to his Truth. He guided me to Islam.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I changed from the religion of my youth a couple years ago.

I think the best way for me to describe my journey is to say something happened that made me step outside my pretty box and I saw a lot more around me then I had before and I realized a lot of things.

In doing so my beliefs changed and things Id always wondered about and believed in came to the surface and grew stronger.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• God's Love drew me in as also the Love of His Son who died for me so I can be free!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Questioning and research.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I believe God guided me to Islam from Christianity because I was totally ignorant to the religion and had no interest in learning about it. I am at peace now and very grateful that he did lead me to Islam.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 8:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My parents did not raise me with much in the way of religion so I had a lot of questions and no basis to start from. Several churches I went to were totally confused when I could not even recite the lords prayer and I gave up for a while. Eventually someone came to my door with a comprehensive set of teachings that allow me to learn and question. They are kind enough that even when I don't agree with the conclusions they have drawn, we can agree to disagree.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 8:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ive always been a satanist, i just didnt know the name for all my beliefs til i was 8.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was raised in a nominally Christian household... I knew the basic tenets of the religion but we seldom went to church. From childhood the idea of God as a 'person' did not make any sense to me. I always thought that God was more of an impersonal force than a personified deity with a hand in our personal affairs. I was a pantheist without knowing what a pantheist was. As I reached my teens I became interested in the Dharmic religions... ultimately in university I took a World Religions class where I became intrigued by Buddhism but I didn't take the time to really investigate it. After my middle child was born I had problems with PPD and extreme anxiety and I realized that something had to change for me. I made some major attitude/lifestyle changes, and practicing the Eightfold Path was part of that. It was just plain common sense and since then living that path has been very 'right' for me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Education.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My husband actually helped me sort some stuff out. He's been agnostic since he was 16, he's almost 24 now (yikes!). He was raised Catholic, went to the Catholic school thing and everything. It was also a lot of the lovely lady atheists here that unknowingly guided me to my conclusions. I've done extensive research on atheism, agnosticism, humanism, and secularism. I'd like to take a world religions class when I go to school for anthropology in a few years. Pretty much, studying science, logic, reasoning, and my head and heart have led me to atheism. Couldn't be happier.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009