Catholics?

stupid question but I am curious! can you use tampons? my catholic friends are always talking about how they do not use birth control, or sex toys, or anything like that because sex when not when your husband (or masturbation) is bad. So can you use tampons or is that not allowed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say the "prohibition" of the object is based on it's intended use and not the object itself.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Catholics can use tampons

eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You asked stupid people I would say. I'm Catholic and I never heard anything like this. All above is Okay. Birth control people will argue about that. I see it as God gives us the freedom to choose.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• A tampon cannot sexually please you, or help you procriate so they are okay to use ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• haha interesting question. I always joke around with my Catholic friends that its crazy how much their church cares about what they do with their vaginas. I'll have to ask them this question and see what they respond to it :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Well, I am sure Father Joe is not going around checking for strings before Mass. Being that a tampon is not a prophylactic, hormonal birth control, abortion device, or sex toy I highly doubt anyone will object.

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Tampons are not for a sexual purpose, so are not at all inappropriate for any Christian woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If someone doesn't understand the reasoning behind why the Catholic Church teaches that artifical birth control and masterbation is wrong, then this question isn't that stupid. Catholics can use tampons.

The church's teachings about ABC/masterbation and the like come from our understanding of the reason why God gave us the gift of sex. We understand that it's for both procreation and unitive between the husband and wife. So when one engages in sexual acts - the purpose needs to be kept in mind. (But of course that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it as well). ABC goes against the procreative purpose of sex, masterbation goes against the unitive purpose - so they're wrong. Using tampons is not a sexual act so there's no teaching about it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009