why is it hard for people that stutter to tell people? and what is your feeling about stuttering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my uncle stutters a lot and it always breaks my heart because i know people can be so mean, or it can get awkward when trying to tell someone something.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well when you're a kid that stutters, most of the time other kids pick on you, so you're hesitant to tell people, not knowing what they'd do. as for me, i don't judge. so what if you have a stuttering problem? it's not a big deal. i have a friend who's husband stutters, and he talks alot better since he's been with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's hard for them for different reasons - some can't get the words, "I stutter" out quite right. For others, it's a sense of shame. My husband stutters and he hates it and it embarrasses him. My feelings on stuttering? It's just like anything else, it's a part of who the people are and it doesn't bother me at all.
    MamaChop05

Answer by MamaChop05 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think that for ppl who stutter, it is frustrating trying to talk and ppl not understand what they are trying to say. I think that they can shy away from talking or being social b/c of the time it takes to complete a sentence. My 3-yr-old son stutters, he takes REALLY deep breaths to try and slow down so he doesnt have to repeat himself. Most times ppl get concerned that he is hyperventilating, and in some cases they even laugh at him. (and thats when I go off!) Anyway it gets really bad when he gets excited or is afraid. Therefore, it my opinion that ppl who stutter have a hard time adjusting to new ppl, and that it is hard for them to socialized. I usually dont tell ppl my son stutters b/c then the attention is on his action and annunciation instead of what he is actually trying to saying.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is my understanding, after watching a documentary about a doctor who invented a hearing aid to help stutterers, that it has to do with the person's ability to "hear what they are saying" in the instant it takes so that they know they are saying what they intended to say. The hearing aid was a delayed audio. The severe stutterer was instantly better. The 19 yo guy burst into tears. He was able to speak without the debilitating stuttering that had hampered him. How do I feel about it? I really have no opinion. My nephew stutters especially when he is stressed. We just give him his time to get his thoughts out. It just is what it is.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• the hearing aid doesnt help everyone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I did not stutter at all until after I had a stroke at age 32. I spent 17 months learning how to walk again. The stuttering doesn't happen all the time. It is more frequent when I am stressed, tired or in a new place that makes me anxious. It embarrasses the hell out of me. People laiugh and think it's cute to make fun. They don't understand how emotionally painful it can be. If I could stop it, I would. It is beyond my control. My family is aware but I don't just tell people. I tend to avoid situations that trigger it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My grandpa stutters and I think that he does have a hard time sometimes but his stutter is very mild compared to others that do. I feel bad sometimes but I know that he wants to be treated like everyone else and get respect. People who stutter are still people!!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009