Corporal Punishment for children?!? For or Against?!

Discuss...

(this is for a paper I'm writing for school, I'm not trying to start anything...)

peenut0602

Asked by peenut0602 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Against. I would never give a child the message that hitting solves problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Read some answers here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think there is a difference in 'corporal punishment' and spanking. I personally do not spank per-say. I have swatted my kids a time or to for things that go beyond counting and time out. Like when my five year old got mad and darted into the parking lot the other day (he's a runner). Yes I caught him by his shirt and swatted his hip one time. That is not normal. I do not think that a child should be 'spanked' for every little thing they do. I do think spanking has it's place when used right. as a correction and not as an outlet for your anger towards your child for their behavior.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I am so AGAINST coroporal punishment!! I was raised in a military family, and corporal punishment was the way my father would dicipline (sp?) me and my siblings. I promised myself I would NEVER spank or strike a child of my own.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• corporal punishment only creates fear, and that is a feeling that stays with you into adulthood, not a great childhood memory to have. Discipline can be achieved through routinely having consequences for actions, followed with consistency.

Answer by older at 9:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Hey, I believe in the old school of paddling kids. It sure kept them in line and less problematic kids disrupting the other kids. Some kids really need that fear put into them. After all aren't we all into adults now with laws keeping us in line. Police out there watching out every move so that we don't break laws and if we do don't we get slap with fine moneywise. Might was well learn early in life what's it all about. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yes am for it. only spanking of course and only when necessary. am a spanking mom
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I've spanked here and there but nothing that would scar my kids for life and make them abusive. i was just curious because i'm writing a paper on it, and all the stuff I'm finding is alot of religious based beliefs. i just wanted some opinions... thank you ladies for not starting an argument, i just wanted more information than magazine articles or book articles. and it seems to me that this assignment came at a good time with that new "study" that came out about spanking children and their I Q's... thanks so much, this helps me alot ;-)

peenut0602

Answer by peenut0602 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I reserve corporal punishment for life and death situations. Anything less and no I don't agree with it. DS is 3 and the last spanking he got was when he was 2 and that was for running into the parking lot and almost getting run over.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Corporal punishment or spanking teaches kids to fear their parents not respect them. It doesn't teach kids how to learn from their mistakes. To me, it is the lazy way out of parenting. Take the time to teach your kids appropriate behaviors instead of just spanking them. How can you teach a child that hitting a friend or sibling is wrong when you spank them for doing so? You just taught them that it is ok to hit. I haven't spanked my child since he was under 4 years old. It didn't work and it did work to talk to him about why he did something, what he should have done and how he can fix what he did. That could mean apologizing to someone he hurt, replacing something he broke or cleaning up a mess he made. My son is now 13 and very respectful to all adults, very polite and very intelligent. He can think for himself and makes sound decisions on his own. I taught him how to think for himself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009