oooh! i have another question!!! (sorry lol)

what is this group B strep test...i have heard about it a lot lately and i dont know what it is. i heard they do it at around 34-37 weeks...just curious

danette624

Asked by danette624 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's super easy. They give you some sterile wipes and a swab and tell you to go in the bathroom and swipe inside your labia, vagina and rectum. You put the cap on the swab and take it back to them. They test it for the Strep B bacteria and if it's positive you will need to have antibiotics before you deliver. They like you to get through 2 IV packets of antibiotics before you deliver, but the rule is at least one, at least 4 hours before you deliver. Otherwise, they will likely want to monitor the baby for 48 hours, instead of the usual 24. It's really not a big deal. I had it, and got only one packet in before my son was born. Everything turned out OK. If it's negative, then you don't have to worry about any of this!!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• beta strep is something a lot of women have that isn't harmful at all but there is a small chance that it could harm your baby during delivery. they will often give you antibiotics during labor because of this but i have read that the antibiotics don't reduce risks to the baby AT ALL. this really upsets me because i got antibiotics during my labor and now i feel like i shouldn't have. if i ever am positive for it again i won't get the antibiotics. ;) i read that in the book pushed by jennifer block and also at this site

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html

just something to think about if you happen to be positive. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• oh and for the test itself, i didn't do it myself like PP did, the nurse just swabbed me. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• to be honest...i dont think i could stick it up my own butt lol i think i would want my doc to do it...i would be in there for hours going "ok on three...1, 2, thrrrrrreeee....OMG I CANT DO IT!!!"
    are there any signs that you could have it? (before they test you for it)
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• are there any signs that you could have it? (before they test you for it)

i dont think so, because just lots of women have it without ever knowing. they don't really stick it in your butt. lol. just kind of swipe it. i *think* it's just a bacteria that lives around your rectum :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• oooh ok....i kept hearing about it, but i had no clue what it was...thanks ladies!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yeah, it's not like you stick way up there or anything. You just put it a little tiny bit in. Personally, this time I won't let the nurse do it to me. I'd rather do it.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• lol, danette624, it doesn't go up your butt...you got the wrong hole!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is a bacteria that occurs naturally in most women, but they do not know that they are carriers of it usually until they become pregnant and are tested for it. As a non-pregnant woman, Strep B does not affect you. As a pregnant woman, if you have Group B Strep, then it become dangerous to your unborn child once your child is born. It can be treated pre-delivery with antibiotics for mother and then once the baby is born, the baby will probably be treated with Gentamycin or some other antibiotic. My mom was Group B Strep positive with my kid sister. My mom was treated with IV meds several hours before delivery. When my baby sister was born, they had to give her IV Gentamycin, which later caused her to have hearing loss of high frequency sounds. Gentamycin is known for burning the cilia in the ears (that is the hairs in your ears which are needed in order for vibrations to bounce off and be heard correctly).
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 10:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The bacteria is originally in the rectum, and can be transferred to the vagina. they want to test to make sure the baby is not going to be infected during labor going through birth canal. You get antibiotics before labor.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009