My 5 1/2 son has just started temper tantrums to get his way. How to deal?

MomCote

Asked by MomCote at 9:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was taught no attention for bad behavior. On the other side of this, I was taught catch them being good. The meaning of these is this~ don't give your son your attention when he starts the tantrum, and eventually he will give up. With catch them being good, give unlimited praise for good behavior. I've been doing this for the last 20 years, when my daughter discovered temper tantrums. Best of luck, Momma!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know many people say to ignore it...but imagine if you were REALLY MAD and the person you were trying to tell.. ignored you?  I am not saying to give in.  Not at all.  Stick to your original decision, but acknowledge that you understand your child does not like your decision.  It can diffuse some of the anger when others acknowledge it.  Young children don't always have the verbal skills to explain how mad they are, so it comes out as a tantrum.

See some helpful books on anger/tantrums http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=22&page=8

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Do NOT give him what he wants until he can ask for it appropriately. Get and read the book, "1 2 3 It's Magic". It is an awesome book that has a common sense, no spanking approach to discipline that works. Read the book all the way through and then go back and follow the program to fit your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thank you all!!!
    MomCote

Answer by MomCote at 1:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009