Help, my son has colic and I don't know what to do

My son is 13 weeks old and was diagnosed with colic in his 3rd week. We tried different formulas (suggested by his pediatrician) until we finally found one he would tolerate Alimentum, in thew purple can. Some days the crying isn't so bad and other days (like today) we can't seem to calm him down. We have tried Mylicon and a warm bath and just holding him close and nothing seems to work. Does anyone else have experience with colic? I'd like to know what you did to comfort your baby and how old your baby was when itgot better. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 21 month old daughter and neither of them cried like this. It makes me feel like a bad mom when i can't get my son to feel comfortable. Any feedback on your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LolaD

Asked by LolaD at 9:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried any gas relief? That helped my kids when they had colic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Take a recieving blanket and put it in the dryer for a few mins to warm it up then swaddle your son in it. It always worked great with my daughter. We thought she had colic but discovered she was lactose intolerant (like her mom). So her non stop crying stopped as soon as she had two bottles of the different formula so I can not help you on when it stopped for us. Good luck but give the warm blanket a try. They use warm blankets in the hospital to calm a fussy baby.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Happiest Baby on the Block. Seriously amazing stuff. They even have a DVD if you need something to watch (my three kids keep my hands pretty full lol) Neither of my other two had colic either. It sure is something else huh?? You are doing great though to ask for help- I know how frustrating it can be! Happiest Baby worked for us. Also ask the ped because they may be able to put your baby on Zantac. That totally helped my little girl. Just for a run down: Dr. Karp suggests: Swaddle, Hold baby on his side, Shhhing really loudly (noise in the womb is similar to a vacuum cleaner sound's level on the outside!) and slightly giggling/swaying. It's good stuff for calming babies who don't seem to want to calm down for anything!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Also try: Gripe water! Good good stuff! Little Remedies makes a good one that you can usually find at CVS.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son was colicky, 3 weeks to 3 months, crying from 6 in the evening to 2-3 in the morning. he cried, i cried, then it was over. hopefully he will grow out of it soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well a lot of moms dont beleive in herbal teas neather did i until i had my son crying for hours and hours and like you i felt like a bad mom. my mom kept telling me about chamomile tea but i was worried that would hurt my baby cause you know docs say not to. anyway i did end up giving my baby some tea in his bottle warm with a bit of sugar and he was happy burped and let out gas constantly and i gave it to him since. i know it is hurtful you feel helpless. i hope this helps..good luck and you are not a bad mom.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• uuuugh my DD had colic for about 16 weeks and let me tell you I felt the same way, but you could be near the end of it. I am also going to suggest trying gripe water it didn't work for my DD but it might work for your son, also sometimes noises would help her. I used to put her bouncer and run the shower and sometimes that would soothe her. I agree with the swaddling thing also. Colic is a very hard thing to deal with, just remember all you can do is try your hardest to figure out whats wrong. In no way are you a bad mom!! If you need to take a break then do it because colic is very stressful!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My youngest son had colic until he was 3 months Can you place his car seat on top of the dryer and turn it on? The warmth and vibration may help. Best of luck to you, It will get better.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• GRIPE WATER AFTER A BOTTLE, AND WARM BLANKIE.. DOES THE TRICK FOR MY GRANDBABY
    kinderGTeacher

Answer by kinderGTeacher at 10:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, my daughter was colicky. It was never diagnosed but she cried hysterically from 3wks to about 3 mos and was very very fussy all the time. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I had to hold her or wear her in a sling and walk or bounce on a yoga ball. She hated to be still. Around her most cranky time (5pm), I'd take a warm bath with her. That usually distracted her and nipped it in the bud. I also started a bedtime routine and was very careful about overstimulation. Even the TV on low was bothering her. She grew out of it. I never thought she would, but she did at around 3 mos. Now at 7 mos. she is like a different kid. You would have never thought she was so crazy by looking at her. I am convinced that a lot of babies are just asleep from birth until about 3 or 4 wks. and then suddenly wake up and don't like their new surroundings! It's shocking to them. Hang in there, it will get better, I promise.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2009