Toddler Beds

My son is 21months old and I am ready to let him out of the crib. I don't actually have a toddler bed, I was just going to take the side off of his crib. I've tried it twice before he fell asleep and he is more interested in playing. I had even spend a long time in his room reading to him and he had his head in my lap so I thought he would go to sleep. Nope. About 2 minutes after I left the room, he climbed out of bed and started playing with toys. The other night Itook it off after he had fallen asleep. He woke up a few hours later and started crying at his screen door for his room. I went int there, put him back in bed with his blanket, he seemed happy. 15 minutes later he was up at the door crying again. I put him in bed and put the side back on and he went right to sleep. Any advice.

vandjslittleone

Asked by vandjslittleone at 9:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start him in the "toddler" bed at naptime only, let him get used to it. if he gets up to play with his toys, let him. don't go in there, see what happens. my ds realized he could get out of his bed and play, i didn't do anything, and for a while there he would get up and play, then when he got tired he'd crawl into bed on his own and go to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• He may need the edge that is on an actual toddler bed....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my daughter did the same thing when she got her toddler bed, just keep the gate there, tell him you aren't coming if he calls you (go check make sure he's ok but try not to let him see you) and he'll eventually either pass out on the floor or crawl back into bed and go to sleep. he has to get used to the idea that even though he can get out of bed it doesn't mean he has to. and you may want to get a bed rail (they sell just the rail at like walmart, target babies r us...) that way when he's asleep he doesn't roll out of bed (somehow my daughter still manages to roll her way out of bed anyways but it stops her other nights, the nights she makes her way past it though are the nights that she'll stay awake longer)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009