Which do you prefer carpet or hard wood? Why?

My mom told me that with small kids hard wood floors is better and carpet is just messy. I have carpet right now and I like the fact that you can't really hear there toys scrapping across the floor or dealing with any scratches like on hard wood. But it is harder to clean when they spill things on the carpet. I'm kinda stuck between the two.

Which one do you prefer and why?

christina7389

Asked by christina7389 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • I'd prefer hard wood because it's prettier and easier to keep clean. I feel like carpets are filthy no matter how many times they are cleaned or swept. Although I have carpets and it's fine but I'd much prefer hard wood. The only prob w hard wood is that it's cold during winter you def need house shoes on those little feet. and it hurts more when little ones fall.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Hardwood definately!! you can always put rugs all over. They are just earier to clean and last longer
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• pergo is great if you want hard wood, it doesnt get scratched, my parents have it. i personally don't like wood or pergo bc it hurts my feet and i cant just wear socks (it's slippery) i have to wear house shoes. i'd rather have that berber carpet (what they used to have) it's very easy to clean.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Hardwood! I love our floors. We have an area rug which my son plays on most of the time. It's so easy to clean! They look so great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have always har carpet. But I have always wanted hard wood floors. there better for you alergies. And easier to keep clean.

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i 4got to add...i busted my @ss on that pergo the first time i wore socks on it, not thinking about slipping bc i was so used to the carpet.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• carpet, hardwood floors are too cold, slippery and I just don't like rugs cuz they never stay in the same spot
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i had tile floors in my last house. no matter how often i swept and mopped our socks always got black. spills and such do soak into carpets but you can get a carpet cleaner.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Carpet is disgusting, it's like a sponge for dirt & bacteria, no matter how many times you steam clean it it's still disgusting, you steam clean it and it takes so long to dry it gets mildewy on top of everything else!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We have carpet everywhere but the bathrooms and kitchen, where we have vinyl (I think). I'd prefer hardwood. I like the way it looks, and I think it is cleaner, especially since we have cats.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009