what kind of dress is Ok for the mother of the bride?

I am a 35 year old mom and my daughter will be getting married next spring... i do not like the dresses that catalogs have for the m.o.b (they look like they are for older moms...) Please help!
Any info will be gratefully accepted.

Getze

Asked by Getze at 9:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Go with something that is the shade of the brides maid dresses in your own style. I don't think it honestly matters what style your dress is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You don't want to overshadow the bride. So something a bit subdued as opposed to glamorous. I went to a bridal shop and bought a very nice dress that I was able to use for formal functions afterward. Find something that suits your style, but that won't draw the eyes away from the bride. For one of my children, I wore a lacy dress that had a matching jacket.

Answer by Bmat at 9:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• some MOB's wear a cream color. make sure you ask your daughter before you choose though. some women are anal about anyone wearing anything close to white on their wedding day. maybe you can find a nice skirt suit. remember, you don't have to get something at the bride stores, you can wear something of your own. it's cheaper that way too, GL and congrats to your dd!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my mom found her dress at dilliards. it doesn't have to be a specific M.O.B. dress, just look for something not too revealing and that won't overshadow your daughter. a nice knee length skirt/dress w/a jacket is usually the style i've seen on all the mom's at weddings i've been to. regardless of their age, just find a cut and style that suits you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My youngest had a pale yellow theme for her bridesmaids and I went to the shop where they had all bought their dresses and got one for me, a little less formal and more of a gold color. It still went with her theme, but didn't match her bridal party to close. It was one I could use for any dressy occasion yet wasn't so dressy I would never use it again. Most bridal shops carry a large selection of MOB dress'es priced quite resonably. Mine was floor length as it was what everyone else was wearing and expected. I've worn it 3 times since and it was under $150.

Cin53

Answer by Cin53 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You want your dress to be close to the same color as the bridesmaids. But not as formal. Congradulations to your DD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• For my wedding my mom wore a dress suit. My wedding was pretty informal. She now wears it to work and other functions. For my brothers she wore a black dress. My SIL had picked red and black as her colors and their wedding was more formal.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I always thought the mother of the bride was suppose to wear a similar color to whatever the brides maids were wearing. So if they were wearing blue ..the Mother would wear a different shade of blue or maybe purple. Eh..maybe it's just a thing around here LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• http://www.jaysbridal.net/store/Womens-Petite-Sizes-c-58.html

Here are some looks for "Young Mother of the Bride" -   maybe you can get some ideas here -

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son was married last November. The really funny thing was in Dec. my husband and I had a very important formal Christmas party to attend. I had chosen my dress for that in October. My future DIL was with me at Dillards when I bought it. I was still struggling with what to choose for the wedding when she called me and asked if it would be tacky to wear the very formal silver and black sequined dress for the party to the wedding. Their colors were black, white and crimson. I told them if that was fine with them it was great for me. Anytime I can multi-purpose formal it works for me. Whats my point...check with your bride and groom for preferences without compromising your own sense of style.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009