Do you agree with this statement?

"Ethical pregnancy counseling explores all options available to birth parents - not just adoption. Even birth parents who strongly present adoption as the only option to consider must be challenged to look at parenting and/or raising the child within the family. Only then can adoption become a free choice."

These words are not mine. I will provide the link later.

Southernroots

Asked by Southernroots at 9:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• what?? im confused. maybe once i know what the heck ill be able to answer better.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think raising the child yourself should be considered first and it would be great if there were some type of class or something to inform moms about help they could get and issues they are facing if they decied to give the baby up or keep it. Education is key for everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yes, I fully agree. Until some one is a parent, it is impossible to know what all that entails. People who are giving their baby up just to give him/her a better life, need to know what financial help there is and that parents have done it with less.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ok but what if someone gets pregnant and doesnt want the baby at all?? dont oyu think it would be a better choice to give the baby to someone who say cant have kids at all,and really want a baby? or say the "mom" is super young and knows that its in the best interest to give it a better life. instead of making them see all the options.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I like that statement. Options can be presented with no one choice being pushed. I am all in favor of letting people know the help that is available. If they still choose to place, I don't think they should be made to feel guilty about it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do agree with the statement. (Why do I think this is a test, and that the link will give everyone a "surprise", hmmmmm?) I do agree that they should be given the information and resources to parenting and raising the child within the family, but do agree that once they have chosen, that they should be supported in the decision, regardless of it being adoption, parenting, or kinship placement.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• typingOK, I googled it, couldn't wait, LOL! I will wait to see what YOU have to add later, SR.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That and a Good Lawyer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, I think it will surprise some people. I found this statement in "Hallmarks of Ethical Adoption Practice," which was on a website for a Catholic Charities Adoption Agency. This statement and many others is very atypical of what you find on most adoption agency sites.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.csswashtenaw.org/adoption/AdopQA.html#HALLMARKS%20OF%20ETHICAL%20ADOPTION%20PRACTICE

or, yes, you can just goggle "Hallmarks of Ethical Adoption"

Don't know anything about this agency except that their concerns for an ethical adoption sound far better than anything I see on most adoption agency sites. I encourage anyone interested in ethical adoption to check out the link and then compare it to the sites for some of the most popular adoption agencies sites. I think there is a huge difference between what this agency discusses and what most agency sites do.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• "ok but what if someone gets pregnant and doesnt want the baby at all?? dont oyu think it would be a better choice to give the baby to someone who say cant have kids at all,and really want a baby? or say the "mom" is super young and knows that its in the best interest to give it a better life. instead of making them see all the options."

Even if a mother does not want to raise her child, and/or cannot, she still needs to be fully informed and know all her options and the consequences. To not be honest and provide her with ALL her options is wrong.

If a mom truly does not want to parent, knowing her options will not likely change her mind.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009