Madison Wisconsin

Hubby and I are thinking of relocating from Michigan to Madison Wisconsin. I'm interested in hearing likes and dislikes of the area. I've done tons of internet research and the area looks good on paper. We are planning a trip out there next spring to check things out. Any input on the area would be greatly appreciated! :)

A.Day

Asked by A.Day at 9:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Travel

• We live in Chicago, and we have family just outside of Madison (Mt. Horeb, home of the World famous Mustard Museum).

Madison has kind of a split personality. It is a big college town; it is the state capital; and it has a strong "hippie" history. It has changed a lot over the last 15 years; most of the funky bookstores have been replaced by B & N; the food co-ops have been replaced by Whole Foods, etc.

The public school system is excellent; the people are mostly warm and friendly.

Will you and your husband be teaching at the University?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We were actually interested in relocating so I could attend college there. Michigan has no job prospects left for us. We are interested in moving to a different area were our children can get a better education and some more culture. Basically, its about getting ourselves a higher education and a fresh start. Thanks for answering my question.
    A.Day

Answer by A.Day at 7:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• had an uncle in Lake Geneva,the cousins are all still there. i thought it was absolutely beautiful up there. housing is very expensive i thought, but you can't beat the schools or the low crime rate. imo, if you can get out of michigan with a job, leave.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I used to live about an hour from there. I am not a fan of living in the Midwest, but of the cities around there, Madison is one that is pretty nice. I hated the insanely cold winters, and it's a hard city to drive in sometimes. The people there are pretty cool though and the schools are great. Oh, and eat at The Blue Marlin! Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• You may want to consider Chicago, instead. There are some amazing public schools, you can easily live without cars (a huge savings), and there are many great Universities. The City Colleges (community college network) are better than average, and can save you a lot of money.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Thanks to everyone for answering my question. We are definitely going to check out the area! :)
    A.Day

Answer by A.Day at 11:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I live 45min from Madison, it is one of my favorite cities. There is alot to see and do, it has an eclectic feel to it. Housing is very expensive, you may want to check out some of the surrounding cities (Middleton, Sun Prairie, Oregon, Deerfield, Marshall, Cottage Grove) housing might be a bit more reasonable there.
    Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009