Is there anyone that can explain to me why?

I am all ready to go on gaining my Associates degree however I need a 70$ tuition deposit by Fri. I am going to be attending Kaplan University On-line for the Medical Information Technologist degree. The clincher is that I just moved 2 weeks ago to Iowa and we are flat broke. I have asked both my parents however my dad said he cant risk it even though I would be paying him back in a month in a half at the latest. My mom is willing to pay my storage but since I got that covered I asked her if she would put the money toward the dep. she then started saying how things where so tight. I just don't understand! I already have 20$ now I just need 50 more and my best friend said for every 10 she will match it. Can anyone out there help me out PLEASE!

angiehanson

Asked by angiehanson at 10:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in

• What is your question? Are you seriously asking other cafe moms for money? Sorry, I don't think I can help you out.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Ah, no and I apologize for the miss understanding. I did kinda word that in such a way didn't I. OOOOPPPPPSSSSSS! SO Sorry....... Any way I guess that is what I get for just blurting things out and not checking what I typed before I hit the button. Im just asking for advice on how to handle my situation here.
    angiehanson

Answer by angiehanson at 10:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Ahh, okay, gotcha...Well, do you have any CD's/DVD's that you could sell? There are a lot of pawn/2nd hand stores etc that will give a couple of bucks for a DVD. Have anything to pawn? I've never done it myself but a friend of mine has. There's always Craigslist, baby furniture, kids' items are ususally popular.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Honestly...I would look into a community college in your area. At least that way you can get better financial aid and some offer evening and online degrees.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thank you all, your advise has acutely helped. I am now researching the local community colleges for what they offer on-line and such and I have contacted Kaplan and withdrew my application. I will obtain my degree from a more reputable institution. It may take longer due to pre-requsits but that way I know my degree will be more widely accepted then if I went the route of a for-profit institution.

Once again Thanks to all
    angiehanson

Answer by angiehanson at 3:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

Next question in
Bullied in Kindergarten

Next question overall (General Parenting)
School Project! Help?