What is a good way to teach a child that has Autism to potty train?

I have a 3 year old son that has Autism... and it has been very hard to get him to understand what i'm asking him to do... please help!

ncoleman2009

Asked by ncoleman2009 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter is autistic as well, and her pedi and teachers gave me this idea. put her to sit on the potty with a book she likes for 5mins at a times, and tell her this is where u go peepee.
    i actually made up a song with mine when she did not want the book, its just repetetive singing which she understood at the time, it went peepee in the potty peepee in the potty etc etc and we used to clap to the song and after a while she would pee and i would praise her and say good girl every single time till she got the hang of it, but be repetetive with however u teach her, it works best with autistic children let me know how she does and contact me anytime okay? good luck
    kaylexi

Answer by kaylexi at 12:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2009