WHAT? REALLY? I'm not sure if I believe this.

My mom got pregnant when she was 36. They did amnio-something to test for genetic stuff and downs syndrome. She said that they test for it early so that if the baby does have it you can choose to abort. I asked her what if the test came back positive for downs syndrome, she said she would have aborted.

Is that really why they test so early? so that you can get an abortion if the baby has a disease or disability?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• *SIGH*........yes, sadly it is.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There may also be less risk at that time. I'm not sure, but if the baby is bigger, there is less room for the needle to slip in around him or her.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It may also be that there are certain times in the pregnancy that it's 'safer' to have an amnio done too. the risk is small, but it's still there.
    I just googled it, and the one page I looked at said that testing can be done from 11 weeks to the end of pregnancy, so, yes, it looks like the main reason for early testing might be to give the option of abortion.
    I guess it really depends on the parent...not every mom will decide to abort if the tests are positive, but it might be their choice to have as much time as possibe before the birth to get used to the idea their baby might have some problems.
    Remember, mom can also decline the tests.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• They test for all kinds of things for an older Mom/ child might have,and yes its an option,up to the parent to bring this child into this world
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We chose not to have the tests at all because we knew no matter what we wouldn't abort. The idea was to enjoy the pregnancy. That didn't really happen, but for other reasons...
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes they test early so you can abort if any thing is wrong.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 10:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is so parents have the option to abort but also so parents have time to adjust to whatever the test results might show. Some parents might decide that they will have the baby no matter what the test might show but they want the time to research the condition & prepare themselves emotionally & to find specialists that will be able to help.

Personnally, I think it is a dangerous game to play. There have been cases of false negatives & false positives, even with amnio.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I was 36 when my last child was born, and I refused to allow the test to detect Downs syndrome (and other things.) It made no difference to us, this is our child and we want him no matter what. My doctor was understanding, but his nurse tried her best to bully me into allowing the test. I finally had to get in her face and tell her "It's my body and my baby! I will be loving and raising him, not you! I would NEVER 'choose to terminate' my child!"
    penny4j

Answer by penny4j at 10:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes and No. Yes, because from a medical standpoint, the sooner an abortion can occur, the easier it is and supposedly the less risk to the mother. No, because from a medical standpoint, the sooner something can be diagnosed, the better chances the doctors have of treating it or taking care of it before the baby is born, and if it can't be treated, then they can at least monitor it and know what they are looking forward to once the baby is born.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 10:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009