Deal with this at WIC?

The "question"? was does WIC have to make me bring in my newborn? I had to go in! Against Dr's orders! Finding a way in. Getting someone to watch the others. Get to WIC .Left waiting for 1- 1/2 hours! They didn't weigh my Baby, measure or look! They just asked for what the DR.'s office said!! When I explained all this ahead of time.! One worker agreed. But another didn't. Then when my DH said not to take the baby in. I got phone calls saying don't make this mistake of not coming in.I had to come in & drive all that way through construction to that city when it could have been done via the mail or fax.? Any one else deal with these issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. I love my WIC office. They are never busy but there is usually only one woman doing the appointment (but 2 at the desk...make sense?), so I do have to wait sometimes (have waited up to an 1 1/2 hours) But they've always seemed very nice when I go.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know that you have to take them to get them started in the program or when its time for a re-certification. Just to pick up your checks though, no, you do not need to take them.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• when they're first born, yes, you have to bring them in. it's kind of like an ID. dumb, i know. but it's their rule. you don't have to bring the baby in when you're just picking up checks, but when they do an evaluation (every 6 months) you do have to bring the baby in. in the beginning i don't think they weigh or anything, they just want the birth weight, length, ect. they'll do that during the eval's. oh and yeah, you normally sit there for hours on end, unless you get lucky. i don't normally complain, unless it's over 2 hours, cuz at least i'm getting help you know?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's a small price to pay for all the freebies. Stop getting WIC & see how much that stuff really costs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow! They are giving you tons of free stuff. Count your blessings rather than complain about it. You don't HAVE to get WIC ya know.
    bm2sm2

Answer by bm2sm2 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• agreed with the pp
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well most wics are like that alot of waiting so if you want what they are offering you. they you are gonna have to suck it up and dela with it. i sometimes have to wait 2 hrs. and why couldnt you bring the baby. is a requirment
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know it's a pain but honestly they don't HAVE to give you anything. Is it really to much to ask to follow their rules?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I still find it amazing how SO many people on this site think that those who use government aide are sitting around doing nothing. It is very hard to juggle a job (or two), a family, possible lack of familial support, etc.

I am sick of women on here bashing women for "Taking Freebies"- you do what you have to do for your kids, and sometimes its frustrating (having to drive across town for a meeting that could have been done over the phone, etc.).

bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If I'm not mistaken, I believe this OP had mentioned (in a different post) that the baby's doctor said NOT to take the baby out in public for a few mos, for whatever reason. In this case, I do think WIC should have allowed her to come without the baby, maybe with a note from the doctor stating this. I think it's wrong of them to make her go against her doctors orders to get help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2009