First birthday for baby with food allergies

It is a little while away yet, but my mom and I were talking birthdays and my mom was like by the way, what are you going to do for Alannah. She is allergic to peanuts, corn, eggs, and highly allergic to milk. How would I give her a normal first b-day with at least cake?

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Using Gelatin:
    Before starting recipe for cookies, cake etc... Combine 1 tsp unflavored gelatin with 3 tblsp cold water and 2 tblsp plus 1 tsp boiling water. This mixture will substitute for 1 egg in a recipe.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not sure if she can eat this brand: cherrybrook kitchen

I am assuming the site is www.cherrybrookkitchen.com ? ? ? Just google it.

They sale the stuff at Super Targets. They make a cake and brownie mix that is really good for food allergy kids.

Their white frosting sucks, so get the chocolate.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It is cherrybrookkitchen.com. It's good cake. I've used it for my allergic son. You can also go to www.foodallergy.org which is the FAAN website (great resource btw). They have a recipe section that should have cake recipes. Good luck! :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Why did you give her allergy trigger foods before her first birthday?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Who says she gave her allergy trigger foods?? In case you hadnt noticed, milk is on her list...you know how many babies come up allergic to milk in their first year of life?? A lot, whether they are formula or breastfed. Corn isnt considered highly allergenic, and is actually in a lot of infant formulas...another way of finding an allergy. Chances are when they realised she had a milk allergy they tested for a spectrum of things.

Kids come up with allergies at any point in their lives, just because someone's child has food allergies before their first birthday, you shouldnt assume that they are a crappy parent for introducing allergy foods before age 1.

To the OP: Cherrybrook is good, they sell a chocolate cake mix thats gluten and milk free at the health food store near my house...the name brand is Pamela's...they also have chocolate icing...I used ener-G egg replacer in it for my sons first birthday and it came out great.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 2:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks Tarinia for backing me. My daughter has a severe case of eczema. We have tried several creams and such at Ped. We then did derm doctor and then refered to Allergist. My DD tested positive for all these things at age 5months. We assumed milk when reg. formula did not work and she had projectile vomiting. The others I had no clue, but not shocked by peanuts it is a common allergy in husbands side of family. In fact I am not a big peanut or nut fan myself. All soy formulas have corn syrup solid it. The powdered type and many others. I did my research. Egg allergy not sure where it came from. But my DD at the time of testing only ever was on formula. Now my DD eats baby foods, which I am very cautious. Please do not judge people or assume things. It is not fair.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• rkoloms, your response was totally uncalled for! I mean, that's just rude of you to ask that question as if you know for positive that the poster did give her child allergy triggering foods before her first birthday. Y'know, there are children born into this world who will develop allergies no matter how careful a parent is; sometimes it just happens. So please, take your holier than thou attitude and stuff it! This mom was asking for help, not unfounded accusations.

To the OP: There are a number of companies that make prepared foods for the allergy market & you can often find their products at local health food stores and in the specialty food section of some of the larger grocery stores. CherryBrooke, which was mentioned by pps, does have very good products. You can also use egg & dairy substitutes for regular cake mixes that are peanut & corn-free and the cakes will still be tasty.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Anon. I just got a cookbook from FAAN. My baby was unfortunate I guess. These allergies were found at 5 months... I hope not many more when she gets older and they do more testing. They didn't want to test for too many for the reason of introducing allergens. We are at the doctors with her a good bit.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• This isn't an answer just a comment. We don't have any allergy issues at our house, but have a friend who is allergic to many things, Thanks for posting this. Now when we invite them over I can serve something he can eat.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 4:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My daughter was allergic to a few things when she was an infant including an intolerance to milk not a "true" allergy. So she was on special formula and still is on Peptamen Jr. I don't know if your pediatricians office has a Nutritionist on staff or not, but they are another option for finding out food substitutions and recipes. Also check with your local childrens hospital to see if they have a parent education/information center. Ours here in St. Louis will run searches for you on specific areas. I hope this helps. Food allergies are very scary. And a little ray of sunshine; my daughter did outgrow some of her allergies. Take care
    Kidnurse1963

Answer by Kidnurse1963 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2009