First birthday for baby with food allergies

It is a little while away yet, but my mom and I were talking birthdays and my mom was like by the way, what are you going to do for Alannah. She is allergic to peanuts, corn, eggs, and highly allergic to milk. How would I give her a normal first b-day with at least cake?

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't need cake at all. My DD didn't have any or care. I just got one for the guests. Don't sweat it. But google vegan sites for future reference. That takes out milk and eggs. I'm sure you can find tons of recipes without peanuts and corn too =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• google vegan cake recipes. u can make it happen!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree on the vegan cake recipes. It isn't as hard as you think! I use coconut milk a lot in baked goods to substitute for milk, but you could use almond or soy as well. Rice milk is a little thin, so I don't use it much. Also, ener-g makes a powdered egg replacer that is made out of tapioca starch that works pretty well, too. Start experimenting, and you'll come up with something great! Earth balance is dairy free and works well in frosting, too :) Happy birthday to your little one! Allergies are tough, (my son has several), but with a little creativity, you'll do well!
    TessaMommy

Answer by TessaMommy at 12:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Double Layer Birthday Cake
    M, E, P, S, N

3 cups cake flour
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/2 cup shortening
    3 T. water, 3 T. oil, 2 tsp. baking powder; mixed together
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two cake pans. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat until well mixed, approximately 4 minutes. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks. Frost when completely cooled.

Note: Baking powder is intentionally listed twice in this recipe. The combination of 3 T. water, 3 T. oil, 2 tsp. baking powder; mixed together is the substitution for 2 eggs.

this recipe is from FAAN website---food allergy and anaphylaxis network
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 12:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Cocoa Frosting
    M, E, W, P, N
    1/2 cup milk-free margarine, softened
    1/2 cup Hershey’s® unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 2/3 cups unsifted confectioners sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat margarine on medium speed in large mixer bowl until softened, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low speed until ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium speed until creamy.

Danyellimom

• You guys are awesome thanks so much... The challenge is my oldest two have no allergies, so this is all new... I knew there had to be something... Thanks for actual recipes...
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Fleishman's unsalted margarine sticks are dairy free and great for baking!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2009