What do you think of Obama increasing the school year?

personally I think it would be a good thing. For many reasons but want to how others feel about it.

Dawn-a

Asked by Dawn-a at 10:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in

• ok I home school but I had to put my 2cents into this- he isn't trying to make it all year school in the way most of these moms are thinking- your child will still get the same amount of time off its just that instead of having a 2.5 month block of out of school time- that vacation time will be spread out through out the year- i think that much time away from a learning environment can set a child back anyway- and I believe that children would do way better with a year round school- also I would love if they separated the boys from the girls- it would make things so much easier! the kids would pay way better attention in class if they weren't worried about what the opposite sex thinks about them

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Bring me up to speed on this.. What does he want to do? (Im out of the loop on this one)
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As a former educator, year round school makes for a better learning environment in most schools. Longer school days do not. Having staggered breaks and plenty of 3 day weekends is good for teachers. I hope this plan ensures quality teachers are well paid! Those people spend tons of time with our children, and we want qualified and dedicated teachers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• all i can say is that kids need a break... i want to have the 3 months with my kid to go on long vacations and stuff. that's family time.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think it's ridiculous! Kids need family time and free time that isn't structured around the dinging of some bell. School already takes kids away from the family a MINIMUM of eight hours a day, then there is travel to and from, plus sports and other extra curriculars on top of a mound of homework. I do not think the current system is working, but I don't think the answer is MORE time sitting in a classroom surrounded by thirty of your peers being talked at by one teacher.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 11:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• So, you think it would be good for all kids to be in school from 7:30am-5pm, every other Saturday and have a much shorter summer vacation? Do you want to spend time with your children? They will come home at, what, 6pm? Eat dinner, do homework, shower and go to bed? What about sports, music programs? What about family time? No, if he does somehow get this passed, I will be homeschooling my child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Nine weeks of summer vacation is still too long here. My kid was bored after two weeks. I'm all for a longer school year; unfortunately they're talking about SHORTENING it here in CA.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well everyone complains about kids not learning. Have you ever seen the schedule of a high school student? My brother has block scheduling and he has a 2 and a half hour study hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then another one on Fridays. Some kids are going to 4 classes out of a day with a 7 class allotment. My senior year, I was getting out of school at 1:05 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesdays and Wednesdays I was getting out at 2:10. I really think that there needs to be more class time. You can still spend time with your children. Everyone is acting like kids will never have off from school. I do hope most of you realize that compared to the countries we are competing with...our school day and year are very short.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• we lived in Germany for 6 years and they do year round schooling. They go the same number of days just summer break is shorter and they get longer breaks during the year. II think it's a great idea. My kids start getting bored during the summer around week 3.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The Chicago Public schools have the shortest school day and school year in the US. The US school have, on average, one of the shortest school days and school years in the Industrialialized world. The US becomes less competitive in the world market, due in large part to the decline of the quality of public education.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2009