Missed periods in your 40's?

Messed up periods in your 40's! How do youknow then if you're pregnant? Some months a period for 3 months Straight! Miss a period etc.. How to know when to worry? Can't
be testing all the time! Gosh how does one adjust? Any tips on this issue? Its no fun at all! Its like when you start & now you're ending your menstrual cycle & its horrible! Help! Suggestions please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Health

• When I was in my 40's my period was coming and going, when i was having it, very heavy,then some months-nothing, PRE MENOPAUSAL. I started very early 40's,by 45 lost my period altogether. when I hit my 50th birthday,it started up again,but this was b/c of a tumor,so had a Hysterectomy. Ask your GYN to take some test to find out if your going into Menpause (PRE)..It does mess up your periods,and other things too..good-luck
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 11:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• could be menopause. granted i'm not 40, and i hope you don't mind a young'n answering. my aunt went through this in her 40's, and my mom, also in her 40's, is going through it now. it's exactly how you described it, and she's tired of it. my aunt is done with it, so no more periods, my mom hopes she's done with it soon, so no more worries. she finally just stopped worrying about being pregnant, it was getting old. i know i'm no help but i guess i'm just saying you're not the only one going through it. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ANON- if your Aunt,now Mom, you might just follow,it usually in the genes of female family,you need to know your family medical history, to know what you might be in for..My daughter carries it with her to the doctor's,so she knows how to answer questions about her health
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 11:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Perimenopause can cause these issues. Check in with your doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Sounds like menopause.  See your doctor.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It really does sound like Menopause to me
    bjfreeman1

Answer by bjfreeman1 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• As a fellow peri-menosausian you're right it does suck. At your next annual exam make sure your gyn knows about the channges. In the meantime make sure you are hyper careful with birth control. Lots and lots of women who believed their cycles had stopped found them selves pregnant. My GYN told me they can remain irregular for up to 10 years before ceasing altogether. There is no need to rush out to your Dr unless you think you may be pregnant or are having other symptoms that you just can't live with. If you haven't had a hot flash or night sweat yet hold on tight. They suck even worse than the period roullette.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Ever heard of change of life babies? When you miss a couple of periods,you might think you can't get pregnant, but its the opposite,and can get pegnant very fast,make sure your still on birth control. Have the GYN do a blood test-hormone levels, but thats how it starts,and the hot flashes are the worst..just be extra careful
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 6:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009