Democratic Super Majority?

OK, so I am reading the paper about the failure of the so-called Democratic Super Majority. The finance committee voted down the Public Option, yet approved 50M for abstinence only program. I find that very interesting. Many have been so worried that with the Super Majority would be able to push through the Democratic agenda. It appears they can not get it together even with the majority of their party in power. Your thoughts?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It appears they can not get it together even with the majority of their party in power. Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that amyrw is right about them being worried about keeping their jobs.  Meanwhile, it's easier to go on camera and to do news interviews saying that Republicans are stalling any efforts, when we all logically know that they have enough votes in their party to pass their agenda.  It's the Blue Dog Dems that aren't cooperating and they can't blame their own party, so Republicans take the fall.  I didn't pay much attention back in the beginning of Bush's first term, but this situation was probably the same in the reverse.  Certain outcomes of the legislation they want to pass would backfire and cause a huge loss of seats in 2010, so they are trying different strategies to keep Republicans in the game, enough to blame them when it all goes to shit.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Please forgive the many missed words in that question. I must need some sleep.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think that they are scared to lose their jobs. The American people are voicing their opinions about healthcare and the majority aren't too happy about how things are working out. I think that they are seeing that if they allow the options that are being discussed now to go through then they are basically giving up their job because no one is going to vote for them next time around. Finally the people are starting to understand that they have to be involved and be passionately involved to get something done
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 1. Democrats do not have the Super Majority, they are only at 58% not 2/3 or 66% of congress.
    2. Abstinence only ed. was approved by a the Senate Finance Committee which is made of 13 dems, 10 rep. and was voted 12-11, only 2 of the 12 votes for the bill were democrats.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 12:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Some of the dems who are still insistant on the public option live in such liberal areas that they are afraid to not be far left themselves for fear they will lose to an even more left extremist in the next election.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Viriridian-I am using verbiage from the article I read. Still, with the majority you quote that should be an ample number to push through their agenda. I am wondering if they are not all as behind their President as the media portrays them to be. I just found it really interesting that in a Government so entrenched in one party how they are still unable to pull together what they want.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Some but not all, may not back the president. Only 2 dems voted for the Ab. only ed. the other 10 votes were republican. Take the Senate for example, 58 dem and 42 rep. if all 42 rep and 9 dems voted the same, making it 51-49 it would look as if they disagree with the president. Its a numbers game. Because that would mean only 9 out of the 58 disagree not the entire party. And this happens every time regardless of who the President is.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 9:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The idea of a unified Democratic Party is a myth. The only thing the Democrats universally have in common is they hated Bush. They built their numbers by promising everything to everyone, even when the promises contradict (see the official party platform stance that marriage is one man, one woman, which has been ratified at every convention since the issue came up, while at the same time promising the moon to gay rights activists). Now that Bush is gone, they have nothing to unify them anymore, which is part of why they continue to whine about Bush - it is the only thing they can agree on.

Meanwhile, there are at least 3 distinct branches of the party, and they all want complete control. None of them wanted Obama to win - they just didn't want one of the other 2 branches to win. Obama was a wild card - he wasn't around long enough to be entrenched in any of the 3.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Viri- Yes, but by your example all of the Republicans agree.... so I am not following the logic... are you saying Republicans are more inclined to vote along party lines than Democrats... are the Republicans more unified? If so, why do you think that is?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It just seems to me that the Public Option for them was a no brainer, at least according to the media. I was not in favor of it, but figured it had so much support (again per media reports) that I thought it would sail through until the end. I just think our media is so full of polls that at this point mean nothing. We are moving toward a not government propoganda but media propoganda of their own making.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009