Do you a public school at home program?

Which one and do you like it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in

• ive heard of these... the curriculum is online? it sounds awesome. we want to get our son into a bilingual charter school, but if he doesn't make the lottery, this might be an option!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Well we are doing Connections Academy through Ohio. I wrote a bit about it in a journal a few weeks ago. I'll be honest, its a bit tough because I am not very disciplined! And I do dream about big yellow school buses sometimes. However that being said, I no longer am ripping my hair out trying to decipher what their teachers are teaching them, I can see it! Both my students are on IEP's so its a bit difficult because they aren't "typical". Still I know this is benefitting them! Both of their IEP's say that they would do well in a small setting, well you can't get much more small than the three of us. It takes awhile to get used to. In the first couple weeks we were working like 7 to 8 hours a day which seems like a lot but they would have spent 6 hours in school and then I would have spent at least 2 helping with homework. This way, when they are done they are done. (Cont.)
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I also will tell you because we were officially enrolled a bit later, our materials didn't arrive at the beginning of the school year. They have it set-up so you can do most of it online (the texts are online and you can print off pages that have say math problems on, and the worksheets are printable links.) Still it got a lot easier once I had my versions of the course guides and they had all the materials available to them.

There's a lot to it. You have the daily work, then they have Live Lessons (kind of like a computer conference with the teacher and other students) my 8th grader has one a day (one per subject) and my 4th grader has between two and three a week. Those are about an hour long. Then there are the portfolio assignments that you either mail in or you can scan them or take a digital picture of and upload it. The teachers also call about once every two weeks and you can call or email them. (Cont.)
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• But most teachers work from 8-4 so if you are working in the evening they may not get back to you till the next day. But a lot of the time, like everyone else they take their work home with them and so there are times when they will email after hours. They have plenty of "field trips" to get together, but right now my kids haven't gone to one because they are mostly in the southern part of Ohio and we live in NE Ohio. Still there's one in October we are going to try to get too. They can take electives one month into the school year for (k-8), high schoolers pick when they pick the rest of their classes. They have to be on target for attendance (Ohio requires an average of 5 hours per school day), carrying a 70% overall in grades, and the teacher's approval. My 4th grader wants to take French and Home Life, my 8th grader is taking Spanish and Keyboarding. (Cont.)
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• They only recommend two electives, but my daughter wants to do sign language too, so I am going to see what her teacher thinks. I think it would help her with her spelling tremendously. They do have a gym requirement, for my son the 8th grader, its about 1/2 hour a day and for my daughter its about an hour a day, but that includes just about anything! Playing outside with friends, riding their bike, helping with housework, bowling, etc. They also take classes in technology which from what I can tell so far is mostly learning how to stay safe on the Internet. But its not very neccessary because its such a closed enviornment. They also have a parent's message board for us to support one another. If after all that you have a question, feel free to send me a message!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh, one last thing, we chose Connections over K-12 because they seemed a bit more flexible with their program for kids on IEP's. Where K-12 seemed to be geared toward gifted students. Maybe that was just my impression though. The other schools in Ohio, last I checked were on Academic Watch so I stayed away from those.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Take a look at Calvert- they have a great k-12 program but we use their home school curriculum because our state doesn't participate in the k-12 program but it still has the same material and I love it- go to www.Calvertschool.org

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• connections were not available in our area, so we went with CAVA (california) through k12. today is the first day, and I can tell it is going to be a huge commitment from me as well as DD. More so when my pre-k begins K. Today was her first offical day and she loves the lessons. they are interactive and fun for her. she got all whiny that i wouldnt let her start on tomorrows already. they also offer many languages to elementary students. Our choices were spanish, german, french and soemthing else i cant remember. they add chinese as an option starting in 6th grade. Were still trying to learn the site and I know that I will have to work hard to organize our days being I homeschool my pre-k son and toddler daughter. It still requires alot od parent participation. I am told it is less as the child gets older and there is more online. Im happy already that we did this. My dd isnt going to know what a BJ is by 5th grade
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 3:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• wow, im tired. Hope you can understand all that. sorry! lol
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 3:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2009