• In the Spotlight:

sleeping on belly

my 5 and half month old always rolls over to his belly at night when i put him to bed he has always like to sleep on his belly we let him during the day during naps but i never have at night but now that hes learned to roll over himself he rolls to his belly after he goes to sleep i of course roll him back to his back but iv noticed when i check in on him befor i go to bed hes on his belly is it safe to let him sleep this way now? Obviously i cant check on him every hour at night. when he wakes me in the middel of the night i find him on his belly.

RykersMom04

Asked by RykersMom04 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has always slept on her belly. If I put her on her back, she would wake up immediately. Now when I lay her on her back she rolls to her belly and she is 4 months old. I would think that since he is rolling to his belly by himself, it would be ok to lay him on his belly. But it is whatever you and your doctor feel comfortable doing.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• if he can roll over good then its fine its more the factor of suffocation and choking
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• if he can get there then he should be fine. My daughter is a tummy sleeper as well, actually she just rolls all over her crib at night. But, when i get her up in the morning, she is on her tummy.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• well he can only roll to his belly he hasnt figured out how to roll back to his back. so thats what concerns me more. He never has barried his face while napping but i guess it still worries me.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It will always worry you, but if he can roll, he can most likely hold his head up pretty well too. So if he gets stuck in a place he can lift his head high enough to cry to get your attention. When you first start letting them sleep on their belly, you will be up all the time. I checked on my daughter constantly throughout the night. Anytime I heard her make a noise I'd get up and check [who am I kidding, I still do it - LOL]
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son slept on his back just fine in the bassinet but as soon as we moved him to the crib he refuses to sleep on his back he has to be on his side our belly i d k why he does it but he can be out cold and as soon as i lay him down he rolls over lol
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009