What is the difference between medical assisting and a cna?

My plans was to take a cna course, but then I have been offered medical assistance. Are they the same or two different things?

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think the biggest difference is pay. CNA's get paid more ...i think.
    sorry i'm not much help. i should know this stuff. my aunt is a MA and my mom was an LVN, so was my MIL and my other aunt is an RN.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• they are way way different. let me put it this way a CNA is a old person ass wiper unless your lucky enough to get into a hospital but even then you get to do the nasty jobs its a quick and easy course only lasting a few weeks for training. A medical assistant works in a drs office usually or a hospital the pay is better for a medical assistant way better but the training is usually months longer around 9 months or so.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As RykersMom said way different. MA's usually make more. CNAs rarely make more than a dollar over minimum. CNA's change the incontinent, give showers, change bedding, feed those who can't feed themselves. They also take vital signs. MA"s usually work in Dr's offices or on wards as clerks. The training is much more in depth. The learn basics like taking vitals but they also learn a lot of administrative type things. Sometimes they perform simple in office tests for Dr's.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I started as a MA in 1986 and went on to get a National Certification, then a specialty certification in Administration, then went on to get it again in Clinical Studies. I always worked, always had job offers, and could work clinicals or insurance, or admininstration. I then got my business degree and then my RN. I've worked with CNA's, no offense, but in my opinion, CNA's were women who just needed a job. No skills past a 6 week course, we paid minimum wage to start, and gave them the worst jobs. Who wants to pay an RN $28/hr to wipe a butt or clean up spilled urine or vomit? The CNA's got those duties of course.
    As a Medical Assistant you can choose what you want to do with your certification. Admin, Insurance or Clinical duties and you can advance, you wont as a CNA. Make sure if you do, go only to a school that is ACCREDITED and will get you a registration or certification.
    contact ---cont.....
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• The A.A.M.A. for an accredited college near you, before you start classes anywhere or pm me a short note. If you get your R.M.A. or your C.M.A. you will be one step ahead of all these girls coming out of vocational rip off schools with only a diploma to their name as a M.A.
    The title makes a big difference. Don't attend one of the schools advertising on televsion,your local community college should offer an Associates Degree or similar program in Medical Assisting, sometimes the bigger teaching hospitals also offer a course 18-24 months. You will only get out of a MA program what you put into it, but you will never get anything more out of a CNA program other than being a CNA at a nursing home, assited living center or hospital doing dirty work. And I mean, dirty work babe.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• MA's make more and can do injections and draw lood. CNA's can wipe butts and clean bed pans
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• ok wow. Thanks for the info. I didn't think there was much of a difference but now I know, lol. I have been having all these online colleges calling me about M.A. but I really don't trust the colleges.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 12:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2009