My 2 year old pinches herself then blames it on her sister...who is across the room most of the time...and she throws MONUMENTAL and LOUD tantrums constantly...HELP!!!

We are very consistent with discipline and our oldest daughter literally NEVER acted out in these ways. Timeouts, taking things away, ignoring, spanking, talking calmly to her...NOTHING works. I am at a loss as to what to do, I keep getting told it's a phase and I understand that, but what can we do as parents to stop this phase? She is a lovely little girl, very articulate and she is witty as can be...but her manipulative and out of control tantrums make it difficult to take her anywhere or have anyone over. I get so embarrassed when she has a meltdown. Please no bashing, I just need some honest advice on how to help my passionate and spirited little princess. =-) Thank you in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little sister was like this. She liked to see me get into trouble by saying I pushed her down or whatnot. as soon as my Mom caught on she would get the punishment that I would have gotten. Maybe she is just trying to see her sister in trouble? Take a favorite toy away for lying to mommy, or even no after dinner treat for you cause you lied.. Or TV time... Something she really enjoys. Thats what had to happen with my sister. But be careful cause my Sister got ANGRY at first and actually bit my face while I was asleep one morning. it was my cheeck and my lower eyelid. I had a black and blue bloody eye for a while. BOY she got a ass beating for that one.. My Mom didnt spank either.. Haha she never touched me again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My mother in law just talked to me today about tantrums, my son does not throw them but in case he ever does.. she said the best thing to do is pick them up and put them in a place where they are not getting any attention and are alone.. like their crib or in a room where they cannot get into anything.. and leave them there until the temper tantrum stops. All she is doing that for is to get attention from you. Now about the pinching, At that point I would give her a good spank on the bottom with like a Rod or a Wooden spoon several times on her BARE bottom and then if she starts up with her temper tantrum i would do what I said before.. Trust me there is a way. I dont belive in abuse but I do believe in discipline and the Rod.. and as the saying goes

Next time she does it in public take her and as hard is it is take her home and put her in her room

Spare the rod Spoil the child

please let me know how this goes for you
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Next time she throws a tantrum in public I would take her home and immediately put her in the place where she can get zero attention for her behavior.. because even spanking her is to some degree gving her attention and trust me I believe in spanking.. and if you do that a few times no matter how much it cuts in tto your day she will eventually give up if you consistently do it.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:51 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• how is it goin for ur lil one now?
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Well, it's only been a day....so about the same...
    Anonymous