Do you know what's hard?

Not knowing where we are going to spend Christmas. Not knowing if we can buy Christmas. Not knowing where my children will be going to school after Christmas. The economy has really impacted our lives in a bad way. Husband out of work, and can't find work. My job doesn't even come close to paying the bills. It's hard not knowing. Anyone else having a hard time right now?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 11:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Our budget is tighter, but we went through what you're going through in the 90's when our boys were young. My husband lost his job when aerospace crashed, then the housing market crashed, & we had to do a short sale on our home. We had 3 little boys, & not enough money to pay bills we went through some tough years. 1 Christmas we gave each of our boys a $5 snowtube that I'd gotten at a clearance sale, hoping to "visit the snow" that's all they got. We were living in the high dessert, & somehow that Christmas we got 1 of our rare snowfalls. It was magic, & it did seem things turned around then.

This may not help a lot now, but we managed to tough it out together, & were able to buy another home, my husband got a great job, & our kids have had much better Christmas's. My oldest son says what he remembers is baking cookies, & happy family times.

Wishing your family Merry Christmas & a healthy happy prosperous New Year
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes ma'am...every day. Our paychecks barely cover the bills, but somehow we manage to squeak by. We have already decided that there will be a cap of $30-$40 on birthdays and for Christmas we may not do any gifts, just a good old fashioned holiday with family, food, friends and just the enjoyment of being together. No frills. Best of luck to you, it will get easier....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i got laid off back in February and had to get rid of one of the cars just to survive. I have my wedding anniversary, my birthday, my hubbys birthday, and then the holidays all within the next 3 months. We're barely surviving as it is. I think we will try selling stuff on ebay to try to make a little extra money otherwise it's paycheck to paycheck for now. Trust me I feel your pain.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Times are tough. But God willing it will pass, check your local Toys for Tots to ensure your kids get a Christmas gift. Best of Luck to you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Without jobs its hard yes, but from what I found out is it rally depends on what area of work you are in.

Recently read an article about legal plan brokers being in HUGE Demand, so I started doing that from home.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I am so far very fortunate, SO is still working, although his income has been cut dramatically, and I am for the most part a SAHM, I assist two elderly women three days a week, paid through the state and that has helped. In April I found and joined an internet shopping site, that generates rebates once a month on all of my internet spending, so I learned how to buy almost everything online, toilet paper, groceries, dog food..all of it. I know we will have a scaled down Christmas this year too.
    Check out wwwEscapeInternational.com. This is what I do, I didn't have any start up costs, I use the service myself...and would even without the monthly commission checks. I have transfered over 95% of my family's spending, and I have saved hundreds of dollars. If you think this might be the right fit...send me a message with any questions you might have, Good Luck, I hope things get more stable for you sooner rather than later.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Absolutely yes.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's so sad that you and others are being faced with such issues.

I've been working from home for 8 yrs and our company is pushing through the bad economy. If we spoke and it seemed like a good fit, I'd be willing to help you financially, start an at home business with our company. I've worked from home with them 8 yrs and I've earned $450,000 over that time. I feel for you and I'm willing to help if you're willing to work hard. www.mymomsoffice.com
    familyvalues

Answer by familyvalues at 5:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2009