Baby wants nothing to do with solids!

Hello ladies!!

My son is a little over 6 months and we have started to introduce solids slowly. He started his cereals at about 5 months and loves them!! He just wants NOTHING to do with baby food. I tried warming it up, mixing it with cereal, serving it room temp, he just won't have it. I've tried sweet foods, bland foods...just won't eat it. He turns his head and only wants to breastfeed. I don't push him b/c I don't want him to refuse them even more if I push. He will even cry if I try to feed him.

I assume he is just not ready, but is this normal? Any advice? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Jem0582

Asked by Jem0582 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• totally normal..hes not ready..hes sending you those cuesjust continue breastmilk and re-introduce solids in another month or so.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 12:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Even if he loves his cereal...but not the baby food?
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If he if doing a good job BFing...then just stick with that...many times babies will like solids TOO much and turn the breast away...I introduced solids at about 6 months but didn't really give them to her until about 9 months....remember, breastmilk/formula is the PRIMARY nutrition source until they are a year old...AFTER you are done BFing you can offer but don't push....just reintroduce them later....and also, with the cereal, the only thing that will cause is constipation if given too much. Cereal is just a bunch of empty calories. BTW, what I did with my daughter, is when I did introduce them I gave her a fresh mashed avocado...some babies just don't like the taste of baby food....mine didn't. You can try that or fresh mashed sweet potato to start. Good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree with naturepeace. I wouldn't rush it. my boys weren't ready until later. They NEVER wanted baby food and when they were ready for solids I would give them finger foods (at around 10-11 months). And just a note on cereal... there really isn't much flavor, texture or even nutritional value to it. But if you are already doing that you can add smooshed bananas to the cereal or something like that if you want.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Try something other than baby food. A lot of babies turn their noses up at the jarred stuff. Try this instead:

bake a potato and mash it up for him.

Mash a banana.

Peel and mash some avocado.

Applesauce.

Not ONE of those things needs to come from a jar.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Try making your own baby food. And if he still doesn't take it DON'T WORRY about it!!

Solids are COMPLETELY experimental in the 1st year. Babies don't NEED solids until after the 1st year, particularly if they are breastfed. He's getting everything he needs from you so don't worry about it to much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Give it time mama..completely normal

-mom of 3
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• one of my sons was like that...... he is still a picky eater! my advice..... just be patient and keep trying
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2009