for C-section moms:

I was just sitting here and thinking about what life (a while) after a cesarean might feel like.

I am curious, in daily life, do you notice your scar or anything else or does it become completely undetectable after a while?
I know some women complain about epidural discomforts. My (years-old) tear scar from a vaginal delivery will sometimes irritate me...
But are there things you notice on occasion?

(Not looking drama, genuinely curious.)

doulala

Asked by doulala at 2:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have nerve damage from my C section so the surface of the skin on my lower stomach is numb, and when I have my period I notice a discomfort where my scar is.
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 2:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Interesting! You notice the discomfort on the outside when you have your period? I wonder why that is.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm really not sure why that is but I had a really long recovery and healing issues.
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 2:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I also feel crampy where my scar is when my period is here. It's not the surface though, I can feel below the skin. It's hard to explain. Other than that I don't "feel" it. I notice the scar when I look in the mirror of course.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My mom had a c-section with me (almost 22yrs ago) & says that her menstrual cycle made her think about it, but after awhile she just kind of stopped noticing. The scar was the old-fashioned vertical kind, but with added weight & stretch marks she said that it faded pretty well...so I'm guessing the newer incisions fade pretty well. She also said, compared to her natural delivery with my brother, she preferred the c-section.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i had my c section 7 1/2 months ago. and half of my scar has already disappeared on the outside. there is no pain or discomfort there, EXCEPT if i am holding my daughter and she jams her foot down really hard right on my incision. i dont even notice it during my daily activities.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I only notice when dd jabs her foot in my lower stomach. It's numb, but it's only been 22 mos and you can't see it if you don't know it's there, DH was surprised it healed that fast... he thought it was disgusting and kept asking if I was ok during the "surgery". I also get weird cramping under the scar but nothing bad! I never had cramps before so these are weird to me. I healed shut within a week and I was peeling the glue off by the second week (grossing DH out)... able to do situps around 6 mos but if I did too many it hurt and I would be sore. My MIL had a C section 24 yrs ago next month and her scar is still numb... she still has the soreness after too much workout in her stomach area.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I had a C section almost 3 months ago and I don't have any pain unless like some of the others mentioned, my son kicks it or steps on the scar, but generally no pain. It's still pink and I was told that it would fade and I wouldn't notice it. Since I was/am EXTREMELY unhappy about having the section I RARELY look at it because it causes me to cry and feel like a failure all over again. So I'm hoping it really will fade and the feelings about it will too.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I had my c-section almost 4 months ago and the scar isnt bad at all. It never bubbled up so its still flat. I have already had my period and there was no problem with it. The numb feeling is almost gone now there is about an inch or 2 area that i notice is still that way but its much better then after i first had him. The pain after the surgery wasnt bad for me. I was only on pain meds for 4 days. The scar has lightened up but i still notice it when i take a shower or am changing other than that i never see it. At first when i would get cold it would hurt but that was before it healed. But i have no problems with it. I am a verry low self esteem so seeing the scar upsets me and makes me feel unatractive but my husbands trys to help with makeing me feel better about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my scar was numb for a really long time after my regrettable section 3 1/2 years ago, now its still numb in a few places and it gets really irritated if my panties or pants rub up against it the wrong way, its still pretty red even after all this time and I get a MEAN itch sometimes too.

Its also a daily reminder of the lack of education I had then and the poor choices I made :(
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009