Can you refuse the formula supplement at the hospital after baby is born?

Hi ladies. I had a question for anyone that may have an answer. When DD (now 2.5) was born, I wasn't producing anything at all, which I know is normal for the first few days. But the hospital gave her a formula supplement when she was breastfeed through this tiny tube thing that they placed next to my nipple (Does that make any sense?) My question is, is this something that they have to do if your not producing? I mean, Im due with baby # 2 any day, and I would really prefer them not to, if its not medically needed..

Thanks! :)

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 4:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely you can refuse, you can refuse anything you want at the hospital. All your baby needs for the first few days is the perfect amount of colostrum that you produce. The only thing that formula will do is give your baby a tummy ache. If the nurses push you, ask for a LC, a good one will tell you it's not needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Thanks. I will do that when he is born. I didn't know any better with my DD, so I basically did whatever they told me to do
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 5:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yes you can. The doctor wrote an order no formula, and the nurses were supposed to abide by it. It always took me a couple of days for the milk to come in and my babies were always fine. Good luck.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 6:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Unless they are diagnosed with jaundice you can refuse...if they have jaundice, the only way to get the bilirubin thru their system is to push fluid and unfortunately your milk has not come in at that time so they have to do what is necessary...BUT if that isn't the case, you can request that there is NO supplement allowed
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my son had jaundice and never had formula. the more you nurse the faster your milk will come in. my milk came in on day 3 and he did just fine w/ nursing and having jaundice. i sat him near a window since the sunlight helps too w/ jaundice. his levels went down in just 5 days.
    op- you can absolutely refuse formula. best way to prevent this is to keep baby in your room all the time. that way you know that no one is giving her formula. it can take up to a week for your milk to come in. most nurses don't know that and just think that baby is not getting anything, when they are. they're getting colostrum.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:03 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• my son was trying to breast feed but he got jaundice somewhat bad so i had to pump and store my milk, i had to put him on formula to get the jaundice out of his system. finally he has passed that and good to go now.
    estasia

Answer by estasia at 8:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• One reason they do that is low blood sugar, I had a natural birth at a birth center and my midwife did it as well. I later learned it was not necessary and low blood sugar is normal at first, until they nurse a bit. I would refuse it next time. That is another reason it is important to nurse ASAP after birth, within a few minutes. YES you can refuse it.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 8:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Refuse, it is your right!
    You don't feed formula to "get rid" of jaundice. It is normal in babies to be jaundiced because their liver isn't functioning fully yet, however the treatment for severe jaundice is to place them under a UV lamp, not feed them formula. Academy of Pediactrics says this:

Neonatal jaundice is usually harmless: this condition is often seen in infants around the second day after birth, lasting until day 8 in normal births, or to around day 14 in premature births. Serum bilirubin normally drops to a low level without any intervention required: the jaundice is presumably a consequence of metabolic and physiological adjustments after birth. In extreme cases, a brain-damaging condition known as kernicterus can occur, leading to significant lifelong disability; there are concerns that this condition has been rising in recent years due to inadequate detection and treatment of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• No, I don't think you have to do that unless a premie or something. My duaghter lost a lot of weight, but we just watched her for 2 weeks before deciding it'd be healthiest for her to suppliment then. My friends baby was in NICU so they had her pump and gave high calorie formula to help gain weight. If she had pumped more, baby woudl have gotten that instead. Also, mine had jaundice and they didn't recommend formula. They said it was normal for breastfeed babies to get jaunice more often then fomula feed babies and for it to last longer. But unless the numbers were high enough, they wouldnt' do anything. If they were too high, it was the light treatment and to breastfeed as often as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son was also jaundice and I refused formula. It took two extra days of checking his bili-levels after we were released from the hospital, but they came to normal. He was fine. I didn't want to suppliment and I think my milk came in sooner because I refused to. He was almost a 9 pound baby....so, yes, he was hungry...I just nursed often and he was a-ok! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009