coughing! what to do?

I have noticed over night now that my son will start caughing and at first I thought he had swallowed wrong with his bottle! now I am not so sure! he keeps on coughing without the bottle.
he is my first and only 8 weeks so I am paranoid. can someone tell me what I should do?

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 5:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• best thing for him at his age is a humidifier in his room...if he is coming down with a cold that will help him breathe a little better!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Try to keep his head propped up and a cool-mist humidifier going and call the doctor first thing. You don't want to take a chance on one that young.

You probably know this, but it's always worth repeating...do not give him any medicines unless previously okay'ed by his doctor.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:30 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My son did this A LOT and I thought nothing of it til my mother suggested he may be allergic or asthmatic. I know, I thought she was crazy too. But I did have him checked and he does allergies, just about to everything under the sun and he is on allergy meds and he has stopped his coughing. I know your little guy is younger so try the hundmifier. Other then that I don't know what else to say but call the docs if it's that serious or if you're that worried. Hope he's ok.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 6:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• good tips above. With coughs, this time of year, it's probably just his first cold. Give him a few days (colds can last 2 weeks for infants) and see if the sound of the cough or the severitiy changes. My daughter had broniciolitis at 12 weeks. Started as an innocent cough then one day I could hear the difference. Lots of mucus in her throat and it sounded more like a bark. This was over night. So I took her in then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009