What is the REAL way to make chicken fried steak???(if there is one)

I live in Maine, my fiancee wants me to make Chicken fried steak for him(which is not a normal meal for us here in New England). I asked my Aunt in Texas and she gave me directions on how to but now he's picking apart how it's really made,...This is the recipe she's given me:
use cube steak
Use 1 egg and flour to coat the steak
Salt and pepper the steak and fry til golden brown.

I don't mind making this for him. I guess I"m just a little irritated he asked me to find out and figuring my aunt was from the south she'd know best but now he's starting to pick apart what is right and what's not.. I'm about to say FINE you cook it yourself..lol Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!!

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 6:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Cube steak should be tenderized (I'm sure she told you that), wet ingredients = egg (beaten) mixed with either whole milk or buttermilk (buttermilk makes it taste more southern), dry ingredients = flour (self rising), salt, pepper & garlic powder. Dip the steak in the wet, then the dry, then the wet again then the dry again. Then fry in shortening (not vegetable oil) good ole Crisco Shortening, until it's golden brown. White Gravy to cover. (gravy is easy - melt shortening in iron skillet,add salt to the melted shortening, add flour (again self rising) , fry up the flour (stir constantly with whisk to break up lumps) until it just barely begins to smoke , pour in cold whole milk and continue to whisk until it thickens.

Now you have Southern Chicken Fried Steak.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• P.S. Born in Mississippi, raised in Texas - Chicken Fried Steak is nearly a staple down here - you can have it for breakfast with scrambled or fried eggs and grits, you can make a sandwich with mayo and lettuce & tomato for lunch, you can cut the tenderized steak into strips and fry the same way and have 'steak fingers' ( which is great with the white gravy and french fries) {That's a "Texas Stop Sign" (Dairy Queen) favorite}. The better the batter, the more tender the steak - the more beloved the Chicken Fried Steak. The secret is getting a good cut of meat, tenderizing it well, and then getting the batter right - this is not something that you can buy a batter for - it's gotta be homemade - if it's not, a true Texan will know it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:16 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• hehe thanks so much Pace.. OMG you guys eat everything down there for all three meals don't ya..lol I love it!!!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• also look up the recipe by paula dean...she had an episode with bobby flay where they did a cookoff....he was puzzled because as he was making his gravy for it he noticed hers was brown with onions in it...while his was a white pepper gravy....according to paula dean a TRUE country fried steak has a brown gravy....im pretty sure she would have the recipe on foodnetwork.com...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Paula Dean is from Georgia - it's not the same.... LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Well, I guess you could say that - some things make it into all three meals for sure. Like burritos - good any time of the day - you can put anything inside a burrito. Where I live it's a burrito world - in Mississippi, not so much. And Whataburger - who can't eat a Whataburger anytime of day??
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• what the heck is whataburger? is that like a whatchamacallit candy bar? lol I can't wait to visit the south between this and the food network I want to live down there..lol
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• lol yea that is true pace....every state has thier own version....best bet is to ask your fiancee exactly what hes wanting fire...but the one i had once was exactly as pace described it earlier, and it had a white pepper gravy...i didnt like it...but you know how picky i am...LOL
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Chiming in only to say PaceMyself is absolutely right. For the record..Texans would not be caught dead eating CFS with brown gravy. Good old white peppered gravy. I make mine a bit different than Pace but it is still country gravy. As a side note the only acceptable side to serve with CFS is potatoes(mashed or fried) and country style green beans. Gravy over the 'taters preferable.

Oh and "Whataburger" is a fast food burger joint on every third corner..lol

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• LOL Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak ARE different - you might need to share where your fiance is from to find out what he's really seeking because this is different in different regions. In Oklahoma, like Texas - white gravy with the egg/milk and flour coating is the only way to go - lol. If we were served Chicken Fried Steak with brown gravy, it'd go back.

And Whataburger - o my stars - I'm not a burger for breakfast kinda gal - but that sounds good this morning - lol.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:41 AM on Oct. 1, 2009