H1N1 (swine flu) question....

how many of u are going to get there kids vaccinated. i'm not sure yet. i read that they had made a cure( so they thought) back in 1976 and it hurt, and killed alot of people. who knows if it is going to do that again. my DD has already got the flu type A last month. she goes to public school, and there was alot of kids out with the flu. my DS 15 is homeschooled, and so really don't have to worry about him getting sick, exsept when we all caught the flu when my DD got it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Health

• The swine flu isn't as bad as the regular seasonal flu. I live Okinawa with my husband, a medic in the navy, He said that everyone with the swine flu got better with in 3-4 days. And everyone with the regular flu, was out for weeks! hope this helps
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My kids are grown - but my 19 year old still lives with us - we've already talked about it - he works with the public and with money - so he's already decided that he'll get the shot. Flu is rampant around here right now - in one day 100 people went to the ER - 40 of them had swine flu. My best friend has bronchitis and pneumonia, her husband has the flu, my DH just got over a bad head cold and now I'm getting it - I love Fall weather - I hate the crud it brings.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• thank u my DD was out of school for a week for the flu A. she was really sick. her fever wouldn't come down. my DD hadn't been sick in 2 years she was homeschooled then. now she is back at public school and i just get nervous with her already getting sick and school just started a month ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I'm not I don't trust any flu shot, especially when this is the first time it's been given!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• This is the last question I am answering on this topic. There are hundreds of previous questions and group posts about H1N1.
    My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury.
    As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system.

cont

• Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont.

• Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I vax my kids, but they have never gotten a flu shot nor will they. I will not get them the N1H1 shot either. We plan on healthy diets, hand washing, keeping the house clean etc. My girls come home from school and automatically put clothes in the wash and wash their hands and faces. We will do what we can to avoid getting sick, but I am very leary of flu shots.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• More people have died from the swine flu vaccine than have died from the swine flu itself.

If you are getting flu shots PLEASE request the thimerosal FREE kind. They make those. They are much safer. Thimerosal is the mercury based preservative. Check the expiration date and make sure you are not getting last year's shot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2009