Is It True...

That you should not lift your arms above your head when your pregnant??
I dont remember here i heard this, but everytime i do it, i think twice about it, haha. and if it is true, why? and when are you suposto stop reaching for things above your head? I think i heard you shouldnt do it cause it can tangle the imbily cord? i have no clue, i just try not to just incase.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 8:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's an old wives tale. and they say it makes the cord wrap around them.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• It's an old wives tale. The truth is that the cord gets tangled in almost a third of all births - it has nothing to do with lifting your arms. There are many old wives tales, like heartburn means you baby will have a lot of hair, or babies with brown birthmarks means mom drank too much coffee, anyone who denies a pregnant woman her cravings will get a sty in their eye - there's not real proof behind any of it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I do, nothing bad has happened to me b/c of it. I just don't lift heavy items.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• HAHAHA!!! a sty in their eye!! omg, i have to tell that to my hubby!! that ws good. i needed a laugh today. and brown birthmark means to much coffee, humm, my baby girl has one, and i did drink alot of coffee.. decaf of corse.. interesting. oh man, you may have just made my whole da with that one. HAHA!!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I have people telling me this one at work ALLL the time! They say the cord will get wraped around the babies head. Because its not like her doing flips and flops and rolling around in there could have any effect on that. lol
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• yeah, when the old ladies would tell me that i used to ask them well you didn't comb your hair the whole time you were pregnant??? or put on a shirt??? it's really stupid the things they come up with
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• what ? can't say I heard thay one before. I was told don't work to hard, and don't cilmb on chairs and ladders. Maybe thats what they meant. as long as I could reach what I wanted wanted to get. I would go for it. but if I needed help getting something then yes I would ask my husband to help me.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:50 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My mom always talks about her mother-in-law telling her that. She wondered how to go 9 months without pulling a shirt over your head. Between you and me, I think it was a way to get out of hanging clothes on the clothesline.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 10:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I dont mean to be mean...but why would you need to do this anyway?
    Taniaengel

Answer by Taniaengel at 9:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2009