do you actually listen to the sermon at church?

I listened to an online sermon. There were noises mixed in. Found out that the tech was playing solitar. When you go to church, do you sincerely listen to the sermon, or are you bored to death?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I fade in and out, I'm in if something catches my attention, and out when things get monotone.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I listen. I enjoy what they have to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yes. I listen to the sermons. I keep a note pad and pen in my Bible and I take notes during the message. It's a wonderful tool to help one concentrate and the bonus is that you can go back and review the message as often as you like. It helps me remember and retain what was said.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I fade in and out too... I don't try to, if I didnt want to go to church and listen, I wouldn't go! Its really irritating when I get finished and I can't remember what was just said. That's why I DO take my kids to the nursery and to children's church. They distract me and its good for them to be away from me from time to time. It's my only relax time during the week. Yet my mind still wanders and I can't pay attention. Maybe I'm relaxing too much. I'll try some caffeine next time. As for the tech guy, I know some churches hire people just to do a job. Doesn't mean he's a member of the church.
    rochellejames

Answer by rochellejames at 9:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• For the most part, I listen. There are times when some sermons speak to me more than others. When the pastor is really on a roll, I am usually more attentive, but there are times when I've stayed up too late and am sleepy and find my mind wandering and sometimes dozing off! A lot of times I will try to have a cup of java before going in. Some say there is a spirit of distraction.....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I listen. Our church has a fill in the blank outline in the bullitin that helps out. because you're always trying to fill that blank in. It helps to go back and review later. Also our church provides coffee, hot chocolate & hot tea before the service so if you want some you're more then welcome to it. If you want you can even take your drinks in with you. They just ask that you clean up after yourself. They realize that some people come to church straight from working all night, up with the baby, etc and need that jolt of caffeine to help them focus.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I listen as much as I can between watching my kids. I enjoy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• With my preacher you have to pay attention he puts a lot of information into one sermon. The tech hardly represents all church people. Maybe they have two services and he had heard the sermon first hour, maybe it was a high school kid who was restless, maybe he was just rude, but one person hardly represents the majority.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:29 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• the purpose of church is not to hear a sermon. its to praise God. i dont go to church all that often, tho. only every other Sunday night & i dont belong to the church. the preacher is all milk & no meat...so i drift a lot. add to that a toddler & i hear very little.

but before my DD was born we use to go to this great church w/ a great preacher. he went a lot deeper than "God is good, God is great" stuff & spoke more about how to be a better person than what non-Biblical rules to follow. but he moved & his replacement changed the entire church's focus, so we left.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• There are those rare times that I have trouble paying attention. When the kids are getting antsy in particular. Most of the time I am very eager to hear what is said.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009