if you babysit a chlid and all they told you was NO...

I watch a 2 year old and everytime i tell him to do something he tells me NO and he will NOT do it like this morning i told him to put his arm in his coat he said no and wouldn't do it If you tell him to drink his milk, come inside anything you tell him to do he will tell you NO. I don't really wanna confront his mom about it b/c one time i confronted her about him hitting people in the face and she goes oh its ok he is just playing....this was when he was 18 months and he would slap her in the face 10 times everytime she picked him up I am just wondering what to do about him telling me NO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well first off, you don't ask a toddler anything, you tell them and if they say "no" then you do it for him. If he asks for milk and doesn't drink it, then take it from him. If he say's he's thirsty tell him too bad so sad, he can wait
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:56 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• When my son was age two he would say NO.... all the time. I broke him from saying NO, by saying would like something crazy and he would say NO... then I would throw his favorite food or drink and he would say NO... I said, okay you said NO.... Then he would say yes! Go figure this is a hard age and you are around him more than his parent's at this time during the week. You just play the reverse of what ever he tells you.... And it might sink into their little mind one day, what NO really means. It's best to just put his jacket on yourself. I wish you luck .... Try humor.... It's the best way for them to learn...
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Tell him yes. (It's probably a word he's never heard! :) ) My daughter still says no all the time. If she doesn't want her juice, I put it down and then she grabs it. So play along. IF he won't put his jacket on, then you don't go out side. IF he won't come inside, go inside without him and close the door. I haven't met a kid this doesn't work with. They will come running! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I babysit a girl who is like that. She got sooo much worse. So finally, i just told her. I don't care what you do at your house, but these are the rules at my house. I use logical/natural consequences. If he won't put on his coat and it's cold, then no outside. If he won't com insiide when called, then take away the next privialge (like if he gets to watch cartoons before/after lunch), if you tell him to drink his milk, he says no, take it away and put it in the fridge, he can drink it for snack. Basically, for every no he gives you, you are taking something away. He will learn that no is not good for him! It really does work. don't bother with the mom, she'll be making excuses for him the rest of his life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I would put him in time out until he would cooperate.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2009